An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Guest
Just curious as to approx how many man hours it takes to do a 50hr check on a PA28? I've known one mx organisation need the a/c for three days , another did it in about six hours with one engineer , and an owner do his own in about three hours.

What's the concensus?
By Keef
It depends if there are any ADs due.

Ours are normally done "same day" and seem to take about 5 to 6 hours.

You need to look at the pink pages in the logbooks.
Anonymous wrote:Just curious as to approx how many man hours it takes to do a 50hr check on a PA28? I've known one mx organisation need the a/c for three days , another did it in about six hours with one engineer , and an owner do his own in about three hours.

What's the concensus?

50. :D

Honestly, I have done one as a novice (with proper supervision) and it taked a morning.

Essentially, the time it takes to change the oil as everything else can be done while that is being done.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Our Arrer is done in a day, provided

1) Nothing untoward crops up, and

2) We get it there pretty early.

In practice we often drop it over the night before...........

Peter :wink:
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Between four and five hours for two of us (amateurs) doing a PA28-160.
By ROG
I take ours to our man at 10.00----ready about 3.00 --2 guys working on it.

unless there"s a major problem should be ready same day.

where are you based--i"d certainly recommend our engineer.
By AFSAG
slight off topic, but some of these replies sound like the owner has done the 50 hr themselves- is this "doable?" assuming the plane is not used for public transport.
i assume it is similar to the small intermediate service most modern cars need, wioth the major service needing th skills of an aircraft engineer.

(i know its never good to assume)

it would certainly save a lot of hassle/money.

andrew
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Andrew,

Yes, owners can do their own 50 hour checks. There is a schedule for the aircraft which covers (from memory):

Change oil and filter
Check and clean or replace plugs
Clean and inspect air filter
Lubricate all hinges and cables
Check battery
Check all bulbs
Check fittings such as seatbelts, seat runners for security
Check tyres for condition and pressure
Check that everything works or is placarded u/s
Conduct an engine run and measure T's and P's
Check for leaks

This is for a non-complex type. The two fiddly tasks on our aircraft are wirelocking the battery compartment closed (inaccessible under the seat) and refitting the lower cowling.

Unfortunately our engineer who does all the other maintenance has recently informed us that under EASA rules he is no longer happy for us to carry on as it could be unclear who is responsible for what if there is a problem.

My understanding was that we as owners are responsible for everything so, in fact, it should be us that has the problem and not him. Other organisations take a different view so we are in discussions to move on. It is a shame because we have had a long and mostly happy relationship with the current guy.
By ROG
I know of one do -it -yourself job where the oil filter wasn"t put back properly--you can imagine the result.