An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Moose
Never had this happen to be before!

Approaching a licenced but uncontrolled airfield this afternoon and joined downwind notifing the radio controller of my intentions. Heard another aircraft join downwind about 2 mins later just as I turned from base onto final approach. Called to say I was established on final approach.

With less than 1nm to go I see an aircraft on a very close in base leg turn onto final approach just below me. At first I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing and figured he must be going around as it looked like he was leaving the turn too late, but no, he just plonked himself deep onto the runway and landed forcing me to go around :x

Initially I thought it was the aircraft who called downwind after me (a KitFox), but it wasn't, as I'd just heard him call finals as I was going around.

So be warned to keep a lookout for a silver Cub type aircraft, who I assume doesn't have a radio or doesn't bother to use it for listening or talking to let others know what they're doing. Prat. Shame I couldn't find you to discuss your idea of a circuit.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It happens. Pointless getting hot under the collar about it. We went from number 2 in the circuit (same air/ground set up) to number 4 this afternoon. Just extend a little, slow it down as much as is safe and then if absolutely necessary go around.

Allowing pilots who push in to stress you out only increases the likelihood of you messing up the approach yourself.

Also worth noting that turning on to a 1nm final could well be the norm at that type of field. Many operate much shorter approaches than full ATC fields.

Glad it worked out ok.
By Lowtimer
Is there a requirement to use radio at that airfield? Some airfields will only accept radio traffic, but a lot accept non-radio traffic (including me on occasions).
By Timothy
If it took 2 minutes from the downwind call to the turn from base to finals, how far out were you?

Is it possible that your circuit was sufficiently wide that the silver Cub didn't see you?
By Moose
2 minutes was an estimate, but I wouldn't have said my circuit was excessive as I was following the documented noise abatement circuit (the Cub most definitely wasn't, unless he was using the microlight circuit which is indeed quite tight into the airfield). No mention of radio requirements in the AIP, so I guess he could have been radio less although I did see them departing and both pilot and passenger had headphones on.

C'est la vie as they say. Another thing to add to the experience bag :)
By grumpy old pilot
C'est la vie as they say. Another thing to add to the experience bag

Maybe it might have been an idea to look at it that way rather than...

So be warned to keep a lookout for a silver Cub type aircraft, who I assume doesn't have a radio or doesn't bother to use it for listening or talking to let others know what they're doing. Prat.

Probably better to have a much more relaxed view of fellow aviators...and not always assume you are in the right.

If little dramas are Big dramas maybe another career choice... :wink:
By Keef
The Microlight circuit - hmmm.

I remember a fly-in where several of us got cut up on final several times by microlights "in the microlight circuit". It had the opportunity to be very nasty if the person being cut up didn't see the cutter-upper.
By Moose
grumpy old pilot wrote:If little dramas are Big dramas maybe another career choice... :wink:

Reading it back now, perhaps my original post was a little strongly wored, as at the time I was more miffed than annoyed. Also it was quite nice to practice a proper go-around rather than the odd practice (I need the hours anyway ;))
By Stephen Morley
Moose wrote:Never had this happen to be before!

Approaching a licenced but uncontrolled airfield this afternoon and joined downwind notifing the radio controller of my intentions. Heard another aircraft join downwind about 2 mins later just as I turned from base onto final approach. Called to say I was established on final approach.

With less than 1nm to go I see an aircraft on a very close in base leg turn onto final approach just below me. At first I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing and figured he must be going around as it looked like he was leaving the turn too late, but no, he just plonked himself deep onto the runway and landed forcing me to go around :x

Initially I thought it was the aircraft who called downwind after me (a KitFox), but it wasn't, as I'd just heard him call finals as I was going around.

So be warned to keep a lookout for a silver Cub type aircraft, who I assume doesn't have a radio or doesn't bother to use it for listening or talking to let others know what they're doing. Prat. Shame I couldn't find you to discuss your idea of a circuit.

If you still feel miffed get the owners name from G-INFO and write to them. The airfield will supply you with the address.

Having said that I would recommend puting it down to experience. We love to fly. Dont get upset cos someone gives you a very good excuse to do it for another five minutes! :D
By JonathanB
Hope I didn't cut anyone up at Headcorn yesterday... don't think so... I somewhat blatted straight in though with the circuit traffic on downwind as I neared. Didn't notice anyone else at the time! :oops:
By JonathanB
Moose wrote:very close in base leg turn onto final approach
silver Cub type aircraft

I didn't make any turns (was straight in) and the Pup is bright yellow and white and not silver! Didn't notice anyone having to make a go-around either, so don't think I caused any issues! Just a mental note to myself to make sure I am a little more aware next time just in case!
By PeteSpencer
Moose wrote:
grumpy old pilot wrote:If little dramas are Big dramas maybe another career choice... :wink:

Reading it back now, perhaps my original post was a little strongly wored, as at the time I was more miffed than annoyed. Also it was quite nice to practice a proper go-around rather than the odd practice (I need the hours anyway ;))

Like I said elsewhere today, I subscribe to the 'count to ten/twenty/hundred' policy before sounding off.

Have even waited H24 before hitting the 'send' key:and didn't.

Occasionally I just don't bother...

Peter :wink: :wink:
By Ian Melville
Silver cub type aircraft could have been a microlight, could it not?