An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Captn P
Henry wrote:Our engineers do a lot of pre-purchase inspections. I asked them how common it was to find this level of poor quality maintenance, to which the reply was "very". They said a lot of buyers actually take offence when told that their shiny prospective new aircraft is actually a deathtrap held together by chewing gum and luck.

I was pointed to a selection of evidence in their hangar including an engine with rather bent prop still attached. The visiting aircraft had failed to make it off the short runway because it was not developing anywhere near enough power. The reason for this was that when the carb had been refitted a large piece of twisted lockwire had been clamped between the carb/inlet mating faces :shock:

Seem to recall that as a TB10 incident. uh oh ... its libel time !!!
By boobie
Out of curiousity, how would one find out if a maintenence organisation had a load of disatisfied customers or even a prosecution pending
By Guest
Captn P wrote:Seem to recall that as a TB10 incident. uh oh ... its libel time !!!

How can it be libel if it's TRUE? :roll:
By Ben
Had the same story, that is why I fly to Marshall of Cambridge. Lots of money later and it is a new aircraft, only paint and inside work are left to be done.

Ben
By OCB
:shock:

I'd read some "unhappy customer" stuff before on this forum, but I'd no idea servicing in the UK was such a lottery.

Is the only recourse via the CAA and the courts? It might sound daft, but wouldn't the local/regional Trading Standards bods have to get involved if you asked? Especially since they're self-certifying ISO, and obviously failing badly to do the required work.

(the only positive note is - these things show the inherent robustness of the aircraft/mechanical designs; that they keep working *despite* so many things wrong with them....little comfort I know...)
By Leighton CZ
In my experience in owning and running an aircraft on Public Transport it is indeed a Lottery.

"Is the only recourse via the CAA and the courts? It might sound daft, but wouldn't the local/regional Trading Standards bods have to get involved if you asked? Especially since they're self-certifying ISO, and obviously failing badly to do the required work."

IMHO the CAA -- which is the organisation which issues the certification to engineers and worshops falls short in overseeing that their maintenance standards are maintained.
We can get League tables on schools and education but it appears that GA workshops are rather different ????