An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Dominie
Intending to post the detailed story of something very silly that I did a week ago, I asked myself “what is the point of posting on this part of the forum?”

I reckon that the point has to be that others can learn from my mistake(s). As I am getting old quite fast (it seems to me), I have to admit that, although my mistake was poor airmanship, the cause was basically senility – briefly, I focussed on spotting an aircraft which had called downwind but I couldn’t see it; thus I focussed for too long and so ended up where I shouldn’t have been. Totally my fault; happily I don’t think the other guy saw me.

I reckon therefore that the only learning point for me is really that, one day, possibly soon, I will have to accept that I am not as good as I used to be and should retire gracefully before I do something REALLY silly! I just need to recognise that point in good time.
By Rob P
Not a post I can 'like', but one I can definitely identify with.

Rob P
By ROG
Were you flying on your own? What is your idea of old ? At any age it"s better if you fly with another pilot==2 sets of eyes are better than one.
Anyone can make a mistake--professionals with thousands of hours can make mistakes.
If you make an error which could result in a significant accident then do an hour with an instructor--someone you can talk about the subject with--someone whose advice you respect.
If you decide to hang up your headset then im sure most clubs would appreciate help with admin. fuelling etc.
Remember age is only a number---don"t talk yourself out of flying unless its a justified decision.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dominie wrote:

> I reckon therefore that the only learning point for me is really that, one
> day, possibly soon, I will have to accept that I am not as good as I used
> to be and should retire gracefully

A great man, a great pilot, said to me once, when I asked him, why he didn't seek to regain his medical, after the identification of an electrical problem with his heart that was, in all probability, repairable:

"I'd rather stop while I know I'm on the top of my game, than press on, to where the only sure result is less than that".

His name was John Farley. It was a privilege to know him. I learned a lot from him during the years I knew him as a friend, and he influenced me greatly.

My piloting skills are nothing compared with his, but when I can't do what I can do now, and there may be only a few more years of absolute sharpness left to me, I shall turn my back on flying, which has defined my life for 30 years. I shall say goodbye, to my aeroplane which has looked after me, and I it, and to the good people here, and fly no more.

Just as John said to me, on the fourth or fifth (and last) occasion I invited him to come flying (after the first time when he did): "no thank you, it would bring back too many memories".
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> I'm well behind where I was a few years ago. And I'm only 52. :?
>
> It might just be down to recency and practice though.

Might? 'Might' is worth nothing. Know instead, and act accordingly. Choice. We usually have it.
By ROG
Agree with Paul---I usually manage to fly most weeks--either P1 or as another pair of eyes.
Another point i"d mention is preparation--check fields with google earth-data on pooleys , sky demon etc.
Also--whoever I fly with--pilot or non pilot -are told to tell me of other aircraft or if they think i"ve missed something.
By Paul_Sengupta
TopCat wrote:
> Might? 'Might' is worth nothing. Know instead, and act accordingly. Choice. We
> usually have it.

How, exactly? Apart from flying 140 hours in a year and reforming my formation display team and undergoing shed loads of practice, and seeing if I feel as on top of things, after all that, to what I did some years ago?
Rob P, JAFO liked this
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> TopCat wrote:
> > Might? 'Might' is worth nothing. Know instead, and act accordingly. Choice.
> We
> > usually have it.
>
> How, exactly? Apart from flying 140 hours in a year and reforming my formation
> display team and undergoing shed loads of practice, and seeing if I feel as on top of
> things, after all that, to what I did some years ago?

Well fair enough :)

Is that really what you were doing before?
By Paul_Sengupta
TopCat wrote:
> Is that really what you were doing before?

Somewhere in the dim and distant past, yes, though I forget when exactly...it's the Alzheimer's... :D
By Paul_Sengupta
Tempus fugit.

I think I was recounting the story here the other day that when I heard someone say they'd been flying for 30 years, I thought, "gosh." Then I realised I'd been flying for 26 years! At 52. I'm a mere whippersnapper compared with some on here...
By ROG
Paul---52----come along to our club--really novel to have a ypung guy to chat to.
You"ve probably got another 40 years left in you.Join the over 90"s flyers club.
abiopete liked this