An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anon wrote:As the O.P...To add some detail which, understandably some have a asked for, it was a low wing aircraft, grass runway and taxiways.

Thanks for coming back with this.
I have decided not to pack it in at this stage

Good.
but will not be flying again until I’ve had time to fully come to terms with what went wrong, and I’m no longer being deprived of sleep due to thought about what could have happened had one of these things detached in flight. I accept that there is a possibility this was more than just a momentary lapse in concentration and I need to assess this properly as it’s possible other things could be missed.

Fair point. Don't leave it too long though.

my assessment at this moment is that my normally very rigid pre-flight check routine was not adhered to, why is the real question for me to answer, I was on my own, there was no-one else around so I can’t say I was distracted. I am however determined that I will never allow anything to interrupt a routine that has served me well for many many years.

Ok, I think this is a mistake. It is impossible to make such a determination. You've had a rigid routine for years, and yet it broke. With the best will in the world (which you obviously have), you just cannot "make up your mind" to not make a mistake.

I think you should carefully analyse your routine and change it to add in some fail safes. Additional checks, maybe, a final walk round as other have suggested, or do the whole thing in reverse after you've done it in the normal order. Maybe you'll discover some other things you're prone to missing when you look at it all in a different way.

Or (shock horror), try without a checklist, but work your way round the aeroplane, checking and touching every bit that you can see. A proper checklist should be in a logical order as you walk round, so it should be straightforward to do everything in the same order.

I stopped using a checklist for the external checks a long time ago - it's quicker, I'm no less thorough, and I find it easier to see as well as look that way.

Try it - you might like it. You can always pre-flight with the list after you've done it without.

And without it, you have to think more - no bad thing. Also, without it, maybe you'll find some things that aren't on the checklist, that you should still check. I've added two external items and one internal item to my checklists this way.

So please in this instance believe me when I say there was nothing untoward noticed at the time. Indeed a later thorough inspection of the taxi route and take off zone on the runway showed no signs of anything either. If you don’t believe me

I completely believe this. I think believing that the difference in handling would necessarily be noticeable is to have a false sense of security.

let’s hope that this event has at least served to remind all of the need to avoid complacency.

Hear hear. As @A4 Pacific said, I think you've done us all a service in posting.

If you get any further with your self-evaluation, especially if you can analyse why the lapse happened, why not write up a CHIRP report? It's anonymous, and quite cathartic, as you're giving something back to a wider audience. If you don't read the CHIRP reports, you should!
By TopCat
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Just liked one of TC's posts - will go and lie in a quiet room for a bit now!

:D

That makes two of us! :D

Don't worry, I'll find something we don't agree about soon, so we can get back to normal service. Maybe I already have, in fact .... :twisted:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By cockney steve
Look on the plus side....you've learnt that your tie-downs were totally inadequate to prevent the aircraft moving ! Hopefully you'll really beef them up and avoid a blow-over or a rejected insurance-claim. You also know how it flies with an unruly ,fidgeting pax on board. I'm not a qualified pilot, so don't take this too seriously, as others have said, you're only human, move on!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Anon
Anonymous poster
ROG wrote:ANON---just read this thread again--useful for all.
Just wondered if you"re still flying.?

Yep, still at it with another 160 hours under my belt since the incident. I took on board the many useful suggestions and comments here and with particular thanks to A4Pacific for a kind thought, I decided to keep going.
T6Harvard, TopCat, Aerials and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
While sitting in the classroom many years ago while training for the IR at my now defunct school at a well known airfield , I idly watched as my IR instructor walked out to one of the school Arrows:

Her student was already in a/c doing checks .

She got in and they started up.

With the left wing ground tie down still attached . :shock:

I dashed through to the office who phoned the tower, whereupon the a/c door opened, the instructor got out, bobbing down low and unhitched the a/c.

She was mighty pi ssed off with me when she landed back.

Never found out why. :wink: , though probably because if I hadn't piped up they would have realised their error the moment they started to taxi, quickly undone it , departed and no-one would have been any the wiser, :lol:

She's now flying for an airline somewhere.
By PeteSpencer
Loco parentis wrote::lol: PS

It would be quite helpful if you could let us all know which airline she is flying ?

Dunno which, but her FB page shows her sitting with three stripes in RHS of an airbus or 737 , taking a selfie on a stick out of the flight deck window. :roll:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Loco parentis wrote::lol: PS

It would be quite helpful if you could let us all know which airline she is flying ?

Dunno which, but her FB page shows her sitting with three stripes in RHS of an airbus or 737 , taking a selfie on a stick out of the flight deck window. :roll:

That sounds par for the course. :roll: