An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
Nipped over to Headcorn today for fuel. One ahead making low approach and go around. Saw them start to climbe from the threshold so I throttled back to increase my rate of descent.

Looking forward I then saw the aircraft ahead climbing towards a black dot ahead, a helicopter. They seemed to be getting very close, is there anything I can say that can help, without possibly making things worse?

The dots merged......................and then separated.

And here’s the learning point. Having been transfixed by the potential tragedy ahead, I now found myself at only a couple of hundred feet a long way short of the threshold. An application of power sorted it all out, but I really shouldn’t have let it develop that far.
Bobcro, Rob P, Cessna57 liked this
+1

I learnt about parallax error this way when watching an aircraft turn short final from the base leg and descend to a field the other side of the road. He didn’t have time or the inclination to transmit a mayday.

I was inexperienced enough to make a radio call to the tower to warn them it looked like the student one ahead of me was going into the field the other side of the road.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when ten seconds later the parallax sorted itself out and they were over the numbers.

Red face, tower visited and apologies all round when I was back on the ground.
Charles Hunt liked this