An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By BehyBill
Had the same after doing 100h in SEPs, suprisingly that phobia comes out of nothing in very calm days with no traffic around or passengers, that disapered after looging a similar time in gliders as it enforces more hight is good.

Was not afraid of hight during my PPL trainning or when trying free fall jumps from FL160, it is just that in close cokpit "alone" where it happens :shock:
I went to see a hypnotist last week prior to today's lesson, I've got to say it made a big difference, no anxiety, no vertigo and massively improved my enjoyment of the flight, the conditions where extremely lumpy as well. I know a lot of people are dismissive of hypnotherapy as some sort of stage show quackery, so was I before I tried it, but it really worked for me, and even if it doesn't I bet it will be the most relaxing 60 minutes you will have spent in a long time.
In my aviation journey, I've actually learned that what seems like a large number of pilots don't like heights. I know I don't, and I'm perfectly comfortable in an airplane. I think you have to embrace your fear and understand that you are the one controlling height.
Pete L liked this
By ROG
Since my previous contribution on this thread i"ve had SYD THE ROOFER working on my chimney pots/roof. He"s 80 and was running all over the roof---- apparently without any fear.
After he"d finished I asked him if he"d like to come up for a flight sometime. Not b*****y likely said SYD--frightens the life out of me-going up in one of those things!!
PS I don"t think it was just me he won"t fly with.!!
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ROG wrote:Anon---the simple answer is to adjust the altimeter--as soon as you reach 2500 set it to zero.
The above is not to be taken seriously.

You might say that ROG but I did just that with someone afraid of heights in order to climb to 5000ft for spin training. Worked a treat!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Not to take this thread in a different direction, but I've often wondered why few people have tried a mod to replace the floor plate (depending on aircraft type) with a strong perspex panel to allow them to see down beneath their feet.
By ROG
Sir M--when I learnt to fly you did some spinning.
I quickly realised that I was not cut out to be an aerobatic champion--and it certainly
ensured that I would never get into a spin again. So i"ve settled for short strips.
It must be great to fly accurate aerobatics--- anyone who can do it has my respect.