An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
So, I am doing my BFR and we return to Gamston at around 1315 local - nice place, nice people btw.

Called arriving, called down wind, turned base, just turned final when a Tobago with a private callsign - sounded like Chancer 1, no registration announced entering 03 to back track. I re announce final, landing light on, nav lights and strobes on.....

The Instructor and I are somewhat perplexed by this and she did quip that she would like to see a missed approach at some point :mrgreen:

It becomes clear that to continue would not be appropriate, so I advised that I was going round, at which point, the said Tobago called takeoff 03 and started to accelerate underneath me as I was going around about 500' above him.

A quick left turn maintained separation, but both me and the Instructor were absolutely slack jawed at the lack of observation, discipline and etiquette.

I completed circuit Part Deux and landed !
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Naughty!

As the queen of the go-arounds I was taught (and taught and taught) to always move a decent way to the right, towards Deadside, so as to leave clear both RWY and climbout , thus allowing visibility of the happenings on the runway and avoiding conflict :mrgreen:

Tbh, the only worrisome moments in my training so far have involved uncertainty as to the intention of other ac in the vicinity. As you rightly imply @Trent772 , easily remedied by half decent calls.
Trent772 liked this
Had similar on finals with another in the circuit calling downwind, final etc about 10 secs after me. Couldn’t see him.
He ended up 20yds away to starboard on converging course to the runway.
I called going round and broke off.

Conversation on the ground…
His radio volume was turned down…. :roll:
Trent772 liked this
What's confusing me, is that you say you reannounced Final, but didn't say whether you called final the first time before the Saratoga called backtracking. As far as they knew you could have been going a very long way downwind! Should we have a sterile runway all the way from downwind? Once 5hey were backtracking they should have been able to see you, so presumably considered they had sufficient time to take off.
TBH it sounds a bit like a typical AGCS racing incident :D
malcolmfrost wrote:What's confusing me, is that you say you reannounced Final, but didn't say whether you called final the first time before the Saratoga ( Tobago - my edit) called backtracking. As far as they knew you could have been going a very long way downwind! Should we have a sterile runway all the way from downwind? Once 5hey were backtracking they should have been able to see you, so presumably considered they had sufficient time to take off.
TBH it sounds a bit like a typical AGCS racing incident :D

Nah, I fly a circuit that I can land from an engine fault :mrgreen:

I had called final at approx 1 mile from base (noise abatement round the vilage), landing light on. He then announced backtracking which is what rather peeved me, so I said it again... :roll:

No one perished, but it was a lot gash by him IMHO.
Trent772 wrote:...I completed circuit Part Deux and landed !

Did you pass? :D

People make mistakes, pilots make mistakes...I wasn't there in your shoes of course, but I'm not convinced I would have created a thread about this situation.

p.s by the way, it's not a "BFR" in the UK unless for an FAA certificate
By Fellsteruk
Similar happened to me at welshpool, low cloud so joined downwind, called downwind, late downwind (nobody in circuit but I could hear someone was asking for radio check and wanted to make sure they knew where I was before they entered runway.

As I turned final I could see an Ikarus on the runway heading at me then I hear “backtracking”

Eventually went around and thankfully by the time I was back on final they had got to the hold, done power checks and was taking off as I turned final.

Cafe was closed as well :( lol