An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think you reacted correctly and well done for a great account of a situation that isnt highlighted in the textbooks.

One point about the AOPA 'wingtip along the runway' circuit scenario:.

For a multitude of reasons many licensed and unlicensed airfield require 'bomber command circuits':
Indeed at our strip, to avoid two noise sensitive areas under the downwind leg, (One is even a school-shock horror) it is necessary, literally, to fly into the next county. :lol:

Peter
Edit to tidy up grammar :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:I think you reacted correctly and well done for a great account of a situation that isnt highlighted in the textbooks.

This raises a really great point... all the books explain how to do it right (in general - not just joining the circuit).

Whereas I don't think I've ever read anything in the multitude of instructional books I've read over the years, about how to deal with the situations when you're doing it right and the numpties around you aren't.

Obviously it would be impossible to describe every possible scenario, but preparing students for this sort of thing could form part of the training. Even making them aware that the other pilots around them, even though experienced, aren't necessarily doing it right, would be a start.

Is there much of this?
StratoTramp liked this
By GrahamB
PeteSpencer wrote:(One is even a school-shock horror) it is literally necessary to fly into the next county. :lol:
Peter

Paah, that’s nothing.

The base-to-final turn for 33 at LJPZ Portoroz is in another country!
TopCat wrote:... but preparing students for this sort of thing could form part of the training.
Is there much of this?

Certainly was at my school. "The circuit can be filled with idiots. You are the captain do anything required to keep yourself safe" (and our aeroplane - unsaid).

Rob P
lobstaboy, Milty liked this
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:
TopCat wrote:... but preparing students for this sort of thing could form part of the training.
Is there much of this?

Certainly was at my school. "The circuit can be filled with idiots. You are the captain do anything required to keep yourself safe" (and our aeroplane - unsaid).

A truer word ain't never bin spoke, and damn good advice.
By skydriller
TopCat wrote:Is there much of this?

Yes. There is. And it gets even more complicated when its the Aeroclub CFI that appears to be disappearing out of the circuit with a student, you turn/call downwind and then they do, but a good mile further out... On the couple of occasions its happened to me, a brief word on the radio, and I was parked up by the time they touched down.

I also think the OP made a good decision.

Regards, SD..
On uncontrolled fields I always call on every leg and will ask circuit situation on arriving at "radio " " fields. When possible --where you get someone in the circuit who doesn"t use a radio don"t be afraid to ask "what are your intentions". In the initial contribution a call to the field "radio" to ask if guy just departed is in the circuit might have helped.
If necessary--extend a leg--and try to remain passive--any really dangerous actions should be
sorted after landing--not in the air.
By StratoTramp
TopCat wrote:
Rob P wrote:
Is there much of this?

A truer word ain't never bin spoke, and damn good advice.

My instructor says this. Never trust anyone more so at little fields - That said I'm just concerned of being the idiot myself (some of you will say - well how would you tell :lol: )! I find it pretty intimidating being in a circuit still.

There were 6 in the circuit at Dunkeswell last week, I found that pretty taxing. I think there were 4 in the circuit this morning at Sackville, than was more taxing I think because the approach is tougher. It sometimes gets confusing as we get Cranfield too until you hear them call a non-existent runway, at least at sackville.