Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ScottC
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to post it.

Secondly, I have a Bose Aviation X with a broken ear fork - at least I think that's what it's called - it's the bit the holds the ear cup in place and attaches to the headband.

Does anyone know where I could pick up spares to fix it myself (looks simple enough) or failing that, where I could get it repaired at a sensible price?

I check eBay and Gumtree daily to see if any spares or repairs sets come up, but nothing...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
By MikeE
I have had a good service from Headset Services Shoreham although that was some time ago:

T: +44 (0)1273 234 181
F: +44 (0)1903 750 123
E: info@headsetservices.com
W: www.headsetservices.com
A: Unit 8, The Quoin Estate
73 Marlborough Road
Lancing Business Park
Lancing, West Sussex
BN15 8AD

I think they do parts as well as repairs

Good luck!

All best wishes

Mike
By Ian Flyer
I can highly recommend Flackwell Electronics. Speedy service and they did a good job of mine.
I'm sure they will advise you over the phone on the best way to sort out your problem.
By ScottC
Cheers all. I'll make some calls tomorrow.

EDIT: just been doing a bit of googling, from a post on the 'other' forum, the yokes/stirrups are £15 each from HSL - not too bad, however...

£60 to fit them!! Looking at my headset, it seems it's all of a 10 minute job to fit them!

EDIT 2: Note to self... don't search eBay.com for 'Bose Stirrup' :oops:
By Paul_Sengupta
They are indeed quite easy to fit but you'll need a mobile phone type tool thing to undo the tiny screw thing.

However, Bose will not sell you the parts. They charge $175 for a repair.

I've amalgamated a few then sent off ones with two broken cups and missing earseals for repair. You get everything done for the $175 (+ California tax).

Still got a set for sale, with an additional pair of earcups, for £375. :D
By MichaelP
Check the warranty. Many Bose X sets are under warranty.
I've had my set repaired twice under warranty, including for the broken 'stirrup' earphone fork.
It's in for repair again right now at Brent Aero in Ontario.

There should be an European company authorised to do Bose repairs under warranty.

Meanwhile I use my Peltors, rarely needing repair over thirty years or so.
By ScottC
I've had them for about 3 or 4 years and they were refurbished when I bought them, so doubt they'll be covered under warranty now.

I've contacted Bose and am awaiting a reply, I have also spoken to Dave at Flackwell, but he said he can't get hold of Bose parts and so there's only one place that can repair them, being the Bose official UK service agent, which is HSL.

As they've got the rights and parts, I guess I have no option but to have my pants pulled down and pay them to repair them. :(
By Paul_Sengupta
ScottC wrote:As they've got the rights and parts, I guess I have no option but to have my pants pulled down and pay them to repair them. :(

That's the Bose way. Everything under the sun while it's in warranty, slide on the ice if it's not. The exception is if you go to one of the big shows in the US, Oshkosh or Sun'n'fun. Go to the Bose stand at either of these and they'll repair them for you FoC.

Give them to someone who's going over to get them done for you if you're not going yourself.
By MikeE
There should be a date code on them somewhere, SC, that will tell you the date the warranty starts (look at the Bose website for details). If they are still under warranty then just send them off to HSL who will sort them out.

Regards

Mike
By What is a PA-16?
When my Bose X stopped working correctly the headset was still in warranty, I returned it to Transair where I purchased it from, it was repaired and then returned to me by Headset Services. Therefore I conclude that Headset Services carry out the Bose repair work and if they are good enough for Bose then they are good enough for me.
By SteveC
Headset Services are the only Bose repair facility in the UK. They are excellent and pretty quick. They repaired mine twice without cost and they were 6 years old at the time. I have kept the as a spare when I bought the new Bose.
By MichaelP
We had a look at the Bose headset you sent down for repair and
confirmed the upper down cable is intermittent. We also found the ear
seals were worn and should be replaced as well.

If you would like us to replace the upper down cable and the ear
seals, it will cost $129.68 before taxes and shipping. Please let us
know if you would like to proceed.

This is Canadian dollars, so I will get them repaired again this time.
What I have been doing is to release the cable through an open zip in the headset bag as I think the sharp bend the cable makes from the earpiece is harmful. Opening the zip allows the cable to exit straight, if you put the headset in upside down.

I also use cotton covers a la Air Lite headsets around the ear muffs to protect them as these fall apart, especially in a sunny cockpit.