Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By vintage ATCO
Super stuff!

It's actually a Bristol 170 Mk32 Wayfarer of Silver City Airways. Pity you can't see the reg, I could have written it down in my book! :D
By gul1
Vintage stuff.

In that vein, I have some footage of Farnborough 1966 on video transfer from standard 8.

If anyone says they were there, let me know and I'll publish it.
Last edited by gul1 on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By vintage ATCO
gul1 wrote:In that vein, I have some footage of Farborough 1966 on video transfer from standard 8.

If anyone says they were there, let me know and I'll publish it.

I probably was! :shock:
By Rob P
vintage ATCO wrote:Super stuff!

It's actually a Bristol 170 Mk32 Wayfarer of Silver City Airways.

What is the difference between the Wayfarer and the Freighter.

I always thought it was that the Wayfarer didn't have the clamshell doors. Obviously not.

Rob P
By vintage ATCO
Rob P wrote:What is the difference between the Wayfarer and the Freighter.

Wayfarer had the longer nose, 5ft longer than the Freighter, 10ft bigger wing span and a bigger tail. Built for Silver City to carry 3 cars and 23 passengers. Silver City called it the Superfreighter.
By CiderRider
Colonel P,

Lydd was opened in 1953 as Ferryfields, there is quite a nice display at Lydd of the old Silver City operation. If you could get a Video of the film and let me have a copy I will be grateful (let me know how much). It would make a nice film to play during our open day.

Regards
John Jacklin

:D :D :D
By MichaelP
That's an excellent bit of film.

Probably the last flight of a Bristol Freighter took place this year.

Hawkair's Bristol was being flown from Terrace BC to Wetaskiwin Alberta to reside in the Reynolds museum.
Last I heard, it had made it to Prince George where it landed to wait for good weather... but that was a couple of months ago.
I presume the aeroplane made it.
By Red Nose
Excellent footage, lots of megabytes for such a short film.
Nice childhod memories you must have Colonel especialy when your parents also liked flying. Taking the freighter across the chanel instead of taking the ferry must have been a real treat in those days.
By Wendy Lenden
We flew that route early sixties with our motorbikes, heading for Italy. Rode down to Lydd overnight in the pouring rain. I remember the aircraft being so noisy, and it rattled like an old tin can. Nice to see that footage.
By Rob P
vintage ATCO wrote: Built for Silver City to carry 3 cars and 23 passengers. Silver City called it the Superfreighter.

Ah, that's the name I know it by. Airfix 1/72 scale, it built up a treat.

Rob P
By Colonel Panic
Red Nose wrote:Excellent footage, lots of megabytes for such a short film.
Nice childhod memories you must have Colonel especialy when your parents also liked flying. Taking the freighter across the chanel instead of taking the ferry must have been a real treat in those days.

Indeed it was - I just remember flying in one (the 3 car version) in the mid sixties. Does anyone know when the service stopped?
By Guest
Nice to see the old tower in use (above the current Escale Restaurant), and to see a take-off and landing on the now defunct runway 25/07.
By Flyin'Dutch'
2Ds,

IIRC you did quite a bit of research into Le Touq with a view to producing a small booklet about the place's histoire.

Any progress on that?
By Guest
All complete, but without a specific view as to how/where and in what form to unleash it on the impatient masses.

At the slight risk of insulting Rob S, I have no particular desire to self-fund a print run of books.

Possibly an article or two in a well-known aviation journal, or a website.