Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Geronimo
Being an avid reader of notams and noticing that Peter Powell kites of 1970's fame have reappeared in Cheltenham I wondered what major advance there had been in recreational kiting!
Interest piqued by the number of kite flying sites notamed at up to what from beach observation seems extraordinary heights, including one regularly featured WSW of Gloucestershire - what are they doing?
By morticiaskeeper
There has been a massive advance in kites since the Powell.

I was a member of the Airheads kite display team and did development flying for Airdynamics Performance Kites.

It's a very wide spread of disciplines, what would you like to know?
By Paul Lawrence
I have around 7 different sized power kites which I use for my Peter Lynne kite buggy. Most foil type power kites will have 4 lines and these can be connected to a bar or handles. This makes them easier to control and you have the ability to reverse a kite if it lands upside down. The reason I have so many kites is down to the sizes. The smallest kite I have is 1.4m2 which is my high wind kite and the largest is 6.6m2 which is my light wind kites. Each manufacturer will have different type of kites which suit your sport? Most of my kites are light enough to throw in your suitcase when you go on holiday as they are good fun on a sandy beech.

Suggest looking at Flexifoil website as they have a good forums where to start. A good place to buy is http://www.powerkiteshop.com. They will stock nearly all the kites that are available on the market.

Couple of us at Leicester aero club are into power kiting and we always said we should have a kite evening when all the planes are tucked up in the hangers?
By FlyingShack
I believe the notam'd kite site www of glos is used to take up bait to train birds of prey.
By Boxkite
FlyingShack wrote:I believe the notam'd kite site wSw of glos is used to take up bait to train birds of prey.

Correct
By morticiaskeeper
Even if you see no detectable wind, someone somewhere will have something that will fly in it.

A kite builder friend makes light wind delta kites with a pocketed keel, so a helium bladder can be inserted to aid lift at low altitudes. I once flew a 2m Rokkaku for a hawk, with the lure suspended about 10m down the line from the kite. The hawk pulled the kite out of the sky quicker than I could!

I used to enter altitude sprints, 1500ft in 30 seconds was not uncommon.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ive still got my original PeterPowell kite with crude wooden line holders Flies well despite a load of gaffer tape .But more to the point I've still got a wood/cotton box kite which I got as Pressy when I was 9 (ahem its 62 years old)

I flew it to over 600ft on 20 lb fishing line over the north Norfolk coast this summer Put all the plastic stunters to shame.

Memo to self: check for spellcheck scrambling before hitting send
By Rob P
I was Account Exec on the Peter Powell business back in the 1970s. He was a terrific guy, really likeable, but by no means savvy.

The best part of the saga was that we used the artist that used to draw Dan Dare in The Eagle to illustrate the instruction leaflet for the early kite. It was fascinating for me to meet the guy whose art had drawn me into avidly reading every frame just a few years prior.

The worst part was when some low life called Markson appeared and wheedled himself into the role of MD and managed to rip Peter off big time.

Rob P
By SimonM
I've still got my 1970's Wembley Barnstormer stunt kite. It came with a device that made it sound like an aircraft (in the mind of a 1970's child). It was great when you swooped down and the sound of the "engine" roared past you're parents head who were busy eating their picnic on the beach.
The long tail also looked good when doing multiple rolls and was similar to the long ribbons used by gymnasts.

Here's one on the bay
By Rob P
Little known fact: before he started the kite business Peter Powell used to mow the airfield at Staverton, a job he loved as he could watch aeroplanes.

Rob P
By kanga
Rob P wrote:Little known fact: before he started the kite business Peter Powell used to mow the airfield at Staverton, a job he loved as he could watch aeroplanes.

Rob P

ISTR that there was one year when PP claimed to have been the UK's largest (by number of 'airframes') manufacturer of 'airworthy aircraft' .. :)

largest current one is, I think, Cameron Balloons ..

[Gloucestershire commpany, of course .. :) ]