Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anybody know where visiting pilots to Cranfield can get a drink and a bacon sarnie at Cranfield at weekends , now that Cafe Pacific has been demolished?

TIA

Peter
By TractorBoy
Last time we went we sneaked into the students cafe - its about 5 mins walk - and had some extremely cheap, yet surprisingly decent food.

Edit: but don't ask me for directions.....!
By Chilli Monster
Past the Tower, Turn right at the 'T' junction, past the mosque (portakabins), next left.
By Bobcro
Hot and cold snax are also available at the garage both Sat and Sunday. The Costcutter shop is open on Saturday and offer a good range of snax.
By PeteSpencer
Many thanks chaps: Last minute change of plan: Info filed for future reference.

Peter
By Flyingfemme
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I don't think you need to sneak - I really don't think that they mind who goes in there.
G

ISTR that they ask for your student ID and charge a bit more if you don't hsve one. Simples.
By cloudhopper
Flyingfemme wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I don't think you need to sneak - I really don't think that they mind who goes in there.
G

ISTR that they ask for your student ID and charge a bit more if you don't hsve one. Simples.

The uni run Costa places and Cranberrys do that but not the CSA
By diverdriver
Not that you'd want to leave airside now that mandatory airside passes are being brought in - £10 each for locals - and they wonder why residents are leaving!
By mpk
I went into the College Arms bar yesterday for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't need to eat but asked questions and swa with my own eyes......a full bar/pool table, Chinese menu, pies etc., salad/sandwich bar (in 3 separate parts), Sky Sports, bands on sometimes. Not a pure airfield cafe but only 5 minutes walk away. Much more choice than any airfield cafe I've been to. And if you just wanted a take away there is a fully stocked mini-supermarket next door. And 2 ATMs.
I often eat lunch there when I'm on campus at Cranfield.

Lunch (as you say, hot: usually 2 choices plus pizza, salad (with or without a baked potator), or fresh sandwiches - three serveries) is 12-2. About 4 evenings a week "Uncle Lim's" Chinese does silly amounts of food very cheaply, and the bar never seems to close. If all else fails in the evenings, there's usually a kebab van just opposite.

Just around the corner is also the Cafe Bookshop - which is open pretty much office hours in the week, does nice food - probably £7 for a meal rather than £4.50 in the College Arms / Social Club), and you can browse the aviation textbooks as well.

G