Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TrailStar
Happens all the time (have different radio, -trig), almost as bad as traffic calls to membury on safetycom, which is somehow readable from almost anywhere south of birmingham with a decent modern coms setup.
I suppose frequency allocations were originaily setup and tested with them certified, king/garmin/narco state of the fart rubbish in the 1830's or summat.
By neilmurg
I have a 750 as a backup and also gives me 8.33 while the aircraft doesn't.. As others have said, I got the 750 as the incremental cost is small, I don't intend to use the nav/glideslope (I don't think it's safe/appropriate-'please check me out for an ILS app. using an FTA-750' :shock:)
It works great for me, chiefly as a 'call for startup' option without booting up the aircraft, and because I'm OCD and like backup/toys [the definition of a PPL pilot?]
seanjd liked this
By JWL
neilmurg wrote:I have a 750 as a backup and also gives me 8.33 while the aircraft doesn't.. As others have said, I got the 750 as the incremental cost is small, I don't intend to use the nav/glideslope (I don't think it's safe/appropriate-'please check me out for an ILS app. using an FTA-750' :shock:)
It works great for me, chiefly as a 'call for startup' option without booting up the aircraft, and because I'm OCD and like backup/toys [the definition of a PPL pilot?]

I have a 750 for pretty much the same reasons, mainly as a back up than anything else.
By seanjd
I had a play with the Nav settings today, and tracked to a VOR. It worked fine but display is small and you need the radio in a position so you can see the screen well to be useful.
It was a bit intermittent at about 12Nm but consistent from about 10Nm. Nice to know it works and there if needed though.
Sooty25 liked this
By rf3flyer
Bumping an old thread here.

My old Delcom handheld has developed a mechanical switching fault so I'm looking at the Yaesu FTA-550L as a lowest cost replacement. I want to use it in the air with a headset and a remote PTT switch, single place, no intercom.

The manual has this diagram indicating that a PTT switch can be used, presumably between the headset mic jack and the headset adaptor socket, but gives no other detail.
I know remote PTT switches can be bought and velcro'd in place but thats a lot of curly wire, jacks and sockets in a small cockpit. Also, the last one I had eventually fell apart. So, would a simple, single pole, momentary switch work OK or would more electronic complication be necessary? Can anyone provide a diagram for home building a remote PTT switch?
By ChrisRowland
The PTT signal on the 3.5mm plug should connect to the tip on the microphone socket. Transmit is when that is shorted to ground.

This http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/mi ... cjack.html shows the connections.

I would be tempted to find a 4 connector 3.5mm plug and fit wiring in the aircraft with headphone and microphone sockets and a PTT switch fitted to the stick. Then you only have to connect the radio and headset to the permanent wiring.
By pilotea
dmarti32 wrote:Thing its time to get a new handheld radio.

Does anyone have any experience of the FTA550?

TIA

Dave

I've got the 750, takes a bit of time to get used to the interface, but as always with Yaesu, good quality unit.
By Jetblu
Blimey, everyone seems to singing praises for the Yaesu transceiver.

My faithful 20 year old Icom A20 needs replacing with compliant gear so I'm in the market for a 750. Where's poor Sooty when you need him :D
By rf3flyer
ChrisRowland wrote:The PTT signal on the 3.5mm plug should connect to the tip on the microphone socket. Transmit is when that is shorted to ground.

This http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/mi ... cjack.html shows the connections.

You'll have to make allowances for my lack of understanding but I'm not sure that's quite the same. The diagram I posted from the manual has the PTT on the first ring behind the tip whereas aeroelectric.com has nothing on that ring.
ChrisRowland wrote:I would be tempted to find a 4 connector 3.5mm plug and fit wiring in the aircraft with headphone and microphone sockets and a PTT switch fitted to the stick. Then you only have to connect the radio and headset to the permanent wiring.

That's my goal, I just need to understand how to get there.
tomshep wrote:I found it easy to find a four pole jack and plug to make an adaptor. Easier than soldering same!

Do you have a diagram of what you did that you would be prepared to share?

The reason I'm asking this is that when my old Delcom PTT switch fell apart I found electronic thingies inside. I traced the circuit and replicated what I had found using Veroboard. Even the switch itself had a capacitor across terminals. My breadboard worked fine for a decade and a half tucked inside the cradle that held the radio yet I have no idea what all the bits did but presumably disaster might have been mine had I just used a momentary switch on it's own. I don't want to risk frying a new radio by treating it like a house light switch and nor do I really want one of these velcro and curly wire PTT buttons that I see on Transair and similar.

I feel certain someone has done this successfully. I'd just like to pick his or her brains.
By Crash one
I got Harry Mendelsohn to wire the Yaesu plug onto a two place intercom. The intercom is fitted into the panel, with a clip to remove it and change batteries. I then wired from the back of the PTT socket on the intercom through a hole in the case to the original PTT switch on the stick.
The Yaesu clips into an aluminium block screwed to the panel.
Cig socket behind the panel through a 2amp CB for power.
Wires all pass through a grommet close to the radio, quite tidy.
The PTT switch/socket in the intercom is just a straight make/break thing. Tested by holding the wires together.
Permit aircraft.