Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By seanjd
Rather than start a new thread, I thought it better to post on this 'oldun' :wink:

I need to get an hand held radio and will be going for the Yaesu FTA-750L. I figure the extra £50 over the 550 for the extra gps capabilities is worth the money, but I am not buying it for it's Nav features, but see these as a useful back up to have.

Are there any fixed mounts available for these, as I can't seem to find any?

Does anyone know if the aerial connection (bnc) is the same as an ICOM A20, as I can't find the answer to this either!

I presume owners are still happy with these radios, but any additional words of wisdom before I buy? You may even get a 'like' :D

Thx for reading.

Sean
neilmurg liked this
Hi, I purchased one of these last year, the 750 version(more features I will never use) been a ICOM user for the previous 20 years, the aerial connector is the same as ICOM, things I don't like about it:
No carry case
Rechargeable batteries don't show a full charge and the manual says not to use them, very dissapointing.
No true power off, though I believe the new ICOM's are the same.
To use the squelch, you need to press another button then use the rotary knob
But for £270 against the ICOM, good value
I was going to sell the 1991 IC-A20, but its still my favorite of the two.
Hopefully other forum members will be able upsell it for you.
seanjd liked this
By matthew_w100
seanjd wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I thought it better to post on this 'oldun' :wink:

I need to get an hand held radio and will be going for the Yaesu FTA-750L. I figure the extra £50 over the 550 for the extra gps capabilities is worth the money, but I am not buying it for it's Nav features, but see these as a useful back up to have.

You get a glideslope on the ILS as well as the gps features for your extra £50. The 550 is localiser only.

However I was out playing with it yesterday in the vicinity (5nm) of an airfield with ILS and it was struggling to show a stable indication. Not sure it would be much use for shooting an approach.

The VOR display is pretty good though - good for cross cuts as it displays a numeric to/from course as well as a cdi, and a speed over the ground.

It's a nice unit that fits comfortably in the hand, and in any old mobile phone holder. The (included) headset adapter is good, and actually screws into the radio for a trouble-free connection.

The buttons are a little fiddly - but they always are on handhelds - and it'll take a fair amount of practice to get used to hopping round all the features efficiently. But if you *don't* practice you'll never even see any of the features ("i need my backup now" time is not the moment to learn!) so you might as well get a plain old no-frills transciever.

And is comes with a perfectly reasonable PC app (plus connector cable) for setting it up and loading your favourite frequencies and nav waypoints.

I'm thrilled with mine.
seanjd liked this
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:And is comes with a perfectly reasonable PC app (plus connector cable) for setting it up and loading your favourite frequencies and nav waypoints.

I'm thrilled with mine.

I've been thinking of getting one but I think I probably know the answer to my question: :(

Does the above work on a Mac?
By seanjd
Cessna to the sky! wrote:
seanjd wrote:Just ordered the 750, as I may need it sooner than I thought I would :)

Have you received you FTA-750L yet, if so , what do you think?

No. It's arriving on Monday
By santon
Hi folks

I'm sure I'm being a numpty but the manual offers little enlightenment. I have set up various memory books such as Southern England/France etc. and have programmed in various stations. The options are to enter a station to one of eight memory books, all or flag.

I've entered safety comm as 'All', thinking that it would appear in all my memory books but it appears in none. I can only see it if I select to view all entered stations. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to enter it separately for each memory book that I wish it to appear in?

And what does 'Flag' mean?

Thanks
By seanjd
Just had a read of the manual and play with the memories.
If you want a specific channel to show in each memory bank, then you will need to have it saved in each bank.
Looks like the 'flag' group is just another memory bank and should be treated as such. Manual states 'flag' marking is for search refinement, so other than a nice little flag emblen that is shown on the display, I cannot see any other difference :|
By seanjd
I really like this radio btw :D
It is a very nice bit of kit. Screen is a good size as are the buttons and the menu is easy to understand and use. I have bought a separate PTT switch and tested it with my headset and it all works as expected.
Not had chance to try the navigation features yet though.
By rohmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can any of you who are using the 550L with the supplied headset adapter and an intercom connected, confirm that you hear sidetone i.e. your own voice, in your headsets? I've had experience of using a handheld with headsets and it's un-nerving not to hear your voice!
By seanjd
Well I have used the 750 for a few hours now, and so far so good :)

I have an external aerial on my aircraft, but still surprised at the range I am getting. I could hear Gloucester ATIS at 20nm easily, and purposely called early at 18nm going into Wolverhampton and Blackpool with crystal clear communications.

I still haven't tried the NAV features yet. Must try harder!