Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I have a garmin 55 AVD which was last switched on about 3 years ago in South Africa. Now when i turn it on it searches the sky but can not find any Satellites. I have left it on for days and still no luck. Gamin say hard luck its a discontinued model. Has any one had the same and managed to get it to work again.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am surprised that Garmin were not more helpful.

They usually come up trumps, may be you need to go back and give them a bit more 'gentle' hassle and an opportunity to 'rectify' this.

You may gently remind them that they have to provide support for any products up to 10 years after they stopped selling them. That may just about be the case for the 55 I think.

Best of luck
By Guest
they have to provide support for any products up to 10 years after they stopped selling them

How so?
By Colin G
PM WelshFlyer - he's starting up a repair service for GPS.
By WelshFlyer
Not wanting to charge in here blowing my own horn, but...

PM me details of what it dose from the time you switch it on, and I'll have a think.

WF.
By peter272
I had one which hadn't been used for some time and it took hours to reacquire the satellites for the first time. It's working fine now though
By Normski
If you enter the co-ordinates of your present position the unit will take a lot less time to re-aquire the satelites and give you the fix.

Normski
By Ian Melville
Normski wrote:If you enter the co-ordinates of your present position the unit will take a lot less time to re-aquire the satelites and give you the fix.

Normski

And make sure the date and time are approx right
Though in this case I think there is more to it than meets the eye
By pilotchap
Many thanks, after months of trying to get it to work i have now done it. The UTC clock was 8 minutes wrong, although you can't change it because it gets the time from the satellites. I used a cunning plan, i altered the co-ordinates calculated for an 8 minute error in time and it worked, the gps found itself with an hour.

Many thanks everyone
Found this thread today.

My 55-AVD internal battery required replacing. It's a standard 3 volt button cell and was done within days.

I know it'll have lost my few personal fields but now it just wont find satellites.

Tried for hours.
FWIW I can alter the time and it stays correct but the date when entered reverts to some ancient date format. I had no trouble way back passing the year 2,000 17 years ago but could it be a clue as to why it's unhappy.

Why not scrap it ? Its figure are large & easily readable and entering destination four letter code gives range, direction, plus in motion one's heading & G.S. So simply a nice instrument to have.

Any gen out there on making it come to its senses please ?

mike hallam
Thanks,

As an alternative, is there anyone out there with an unused, if ancient Garmin 55AVD I could have.
I only need the central item as in my Rans its powered off the a/c 12 volts fed into the panel surface mounted holder. Likewise I have the aerial and coax. lead & plug.

Or of course if anyone can remember if/how to restore mine to work again that's even better !

mike hallam (Sussex)