Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For the new TB20, we were looking at putting in a new GTN750. However, the Avidyne 540 has a similar screen size, has all of the same functions, incorporates Wifi and Blue Tooth at no extra cost and is significantly cheaper than the Garmin. Does anyone have any experience of using the Avidyne 540 ?

Iceman 8)
By Iceman

A new machine to replace the Commander, with a very appropriate new registration. Temporary markings at the moment with the proper respray of the new reg. scheduled for next week. Having had a 530 in the Commander, I am keen to see a new GTN750 in this one with sat-based weather radar as well (it has a factory fit stormscope), but my co-owner then showed me the spec. for the Avidyne 540 which on paper, looks quite attractive.

Iceman 8)
By GrahamB
Ice,

You can download an Avidyne simulator from their support site. There are some useful videos now posted on YouTube by a couple of PPL/IR members as well.
By David S
I played with both at Friedrichshafen. Both are good, but there's no clear leader. Some touchy-feely thoughts, rather than hard facts:

The Garmin user interface is very slick (especially after the button-twisting nightmare that was the GNS530) and the hardware has a good quality feel to it. The Avidine looks feels a little more plasticy.

The guy working the Avidyne stand got a little lost showing me a couple of functions. It may be because he was unfamiliar with a new product, or it may be the Avidyne is less intuitive / more complex design. He seemed quite knowledgeable otherwise, so my money would be on the latter.

One significant difference is that Garmin is touch-only, whereas Avidyne has a touch screen but can be operated from the buttons.

If you happen to be taking a GNS530 out of the old steed, the Avidyne is a drop-in replacement.

Something the Avidyne guy mentioned - the Garmin has no off switch, so you need it on a circuit breaker in case you need to shed load after an alternator failure.
I'm not overly taken with the Garmin. It's good, but it's not brilliant. There are a couple of features I'd change in an ideal world. But having seen both I'm leaning towards the GTN750.

Incidentally, is the new reg just a new N-number, or have you moved it from a European register to the US?
By Iceman
It has moved from the G to the N-reg and we got lucky with that registration. Someone had it reserved for sometime but never used it and eventually gave up paying for the reservation so we got it.

Iceman 8)
By David S
That's interesting. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my next aircraft, in the likely event it's not already on the N. My last aircraft was N-registered and I much preferred the more straightforward, stable maintenance regime. I'm not 100% sure it would still be worth doing now. EASA seem to be more accepting of mods, although I hear it can still be a nightmare for some things which should be simple.

Did you find the transfer process went smoothly?
By SteveN
David S wrote:One significant difference is that Garmin is touch-only, whereas Avidyne has a touch screen but can be operated from the buttons.

Nope you can use the GTN knobs instead of the touch screen. I never felt the need to however. The biggest problem with the GTN is its TAWS capability is disabled as standard. When I looked at the price a few years back the software key was $7,000 + TAX.
Last edited by SteveN on Sun May 03, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By David S
That shows how much I know. When I was trying it out, I couldn't even get off the home page without using the touch screen. When on the map page, I couldn't find any way to access the menu, access the squawk input page, or even swap the COM frequency between STBY and live.

I'm clearly going to have to read the manual before I fly with one after all!
By SteveN
David S wrote:That shows how much I know. When I was trying it out, I couldn't even get off the home page without using the touch screen. When on the map page, I couldn't find any way to access the menu, access the squawk input page, or even swap the COM frequency between STBY and live.

I'm clearly going to have to read the manual before I fly with one after all!

Damb it I just had to load the simulator to check and you are correct I can't get from the home screen either with the knobs.

They work for frequencies/volume etc and you can swap from standby to active by pushing the small centre knobs.

Shows what I knew too :oops:

I guess is shows I never felt the need use them in anger.
By Rich T
SteveN wrote:Damb it I just had to load the simulator to check and you are correct I can't get from the home screen either with the knobs.

They work for frequencies/volume etc and you can swap from standby to active by pushing the small centre knobs.

You can jump to the Default Nav page from the Map page by pressing and holding the Home button. From the Default Nav page there is a soft button (touch screen) to jump back to the Map page.

The biggest downside of the GTN over the GNS is that you need to go to the Default Nav screen to hit the OBS button. The above trick makes it slightly less of a pain.
By GAFlyer4Fun
I sometime read posts of niggles/annoyances with the user interface of various products as they become more complex (and expensive to buy).

In general (regardless of make/model of kit), I sometimes wonder if anybody reports any user interface niggles/annoyances to the manufacturer?
If people did, the manufacturer might consider doing something about it in the next fix cycle (if that model is still supported) and perhaps not repeat the annoyance in the next product they develop.
By denopa
Actually Garmin have been very good at doing frequent updates to improve the product slowly. In the latest release for example, you don't have to type in the "1" in frequencies, you get a guess of the waypoint you're typing based on your position etc.
I haven't played with the Avydine, but I have an EX600 and a GTN750, and I would take the companies' likely futures into account when making my choice. Garmin's won this and they're here to stay. Their customer service I've found very good and responsive. Avydine on the other hand haven't even been able to bill me for my satellite radar usage forever a year, despite me calling them every month (I know!...).
The GTN750 is excellent. I'm not a huge fan of the GTN650 fwiw.