Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:I am not making blind assumptions. I develop certified software.

Well in that case, I would have expected slightly more sympathy with Tim's view then. :D :D :D
Lefty liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
It is not about sympathy. It is about being publicly respectful (to the supplier) when turning down an offer of innovating collaboration particularly when it comes to that often tricky subject of mixing un-certified with certified kit/data.

It is very hard to encourage investment in GA, and very easy to discourage it.
I can understand why other companies have told me over the years it is not worth investing in GA, one of many factors in the gradual decline of GA.

Right, so where is the SD feature that puts Flyer Forum threads back on track without a magenta line to follow? :wink:
By TheLodger
Hi all,
we have just installed the Avidyne 540 in our shareoplane and we need a bit of help:
Power up - when we switch the master switch on the Avidyne automatically powers up, do we need to power it off before starting the engine?
Charts - we are planning to fly VFR and IFR UK and Europe - what charts should we get and update frequency? recommendations welcome
Traffic Information - How do we get traffic information in?

Any constructive comments and help welcome.
By Iceman
Ideally, you'd have a separate avionics master switch that you would use to apply power to the avionics after start; I'm a little surprised that you didn't have this feature installed st the same time as the 540. That said, modern avionics are a lot more resilient to spikes on the power rail and I seem to recall that the 540 manual specifically states that you can leave it on during engine start. Note that this may be undesirable for other reasons such as battery drain.

Charts wise, you will need a Jeppessen NavData subscription for Europe that will give you all of the IFR capability that you need, including airways, SIDs, STARs and approaches. This can be augmented with optional georeferenced charts for the various countries, e.g., I have the NavData + UK/France georeferenced charts installed as well as a world-wide obstacle database. Update cycle is as per AIRAC, i.e., every 28 days, although Jeppessen updates the georeferenced charts every 14 days. Subscriptions are usually annual.

I haven't bothered with any VFR charts although there is a subscription option for VFR, but I don't know what's included in that; if you find out, do let us know.

As for traffic display, you will need either full TCAS or an ADSB-in receiver connected to the 540 in order to display traffic.

Iceman 8)