Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Stampe
Andy Chadwick who keeps his condor at Breighton is I believe the only person to have done the canopy conversion he,s a great chap and will no doubt give you chapter and verse.It won,t be a cheap or an easy job.Good luck!
By Stampe
Correction to my last G-BUOF also has a sliding canopy.I believe this was one of the unfinished factory fuselages completed as an amateur build project.Goood luck with WSN it's one of the airframes I did my PPL on way back in 1974 at Rochester one of those built with an unflapped wing .Regards Stampe.
By mattmoxon
What are these aircraft like for that taller pilot?

At the moment I am floating between shares (either buying into a group or starting one) and buying an LAA permit based machine. I'm 6' 2" and for a person of my height I have heard that some of the smaller Jodels can be uncomfortable for the taller pilot.
By Stampe
In the condor your basically sitting on the spar with a bulkhead as your backrest both cushioned of course.The rudder pedals are not adjustable so the only seat adjustment is via the number of cushions.At 6ft2 I think you will find it difficult but recommend trying one literally for size.They varied even when built new and over the years have developed individual characteristics.By comparison with the smaller Jodels the condor is considerably roomier in my opinion.Vbr Stampe
mick w liked this
By Thumper
There you go, have really learnt something today.

Sounds like new fleet of Condors to PCP to flying clubs seems order of the day. 150's are beyond their sell-by date and the abuse they have valiantly taken has surely got to have weakened the metal integrity???

just so you are all aware, the remnants of the ESF money for business investment become available end of January.

In some LEPs, up to £200k is available towards projects. Yes, T's and c's apply but a manufacturing company would have any of them coo-ing

Now we are meant to be turning into a global trading leviathan, light aircraft production - why not?

If you have interest in learning me, pm me.
By Genghis the Engineer
I'm a shortarse and had to use multiple booster cushions in ours.

We had a syndicate member who was fairly well over 6ft, who seemed pretty comfortable in it.

So it'll probably be good - but as already said - try it for size.

G
By foxmoth
It's one of those questions......is the Condor a joy because of it vintage or in spite of it

In both modern and vintage aircraft there are aircraft that are a joy to fly and those that are not, some of the vintage that are not nice to handle have their own magic about them (Auster and dH82a spring to mind), I cannot think of any modern types that in my mind have any sort of magic in spite of their handling though some like the RVs have a magic because of the handling. IMHO the Condor is a type that just handles well. :thumright:
By Rob L
Old Pilot wrote:G-AWEI features on this site http://www.rollason-condor.co.uk/histories/awei.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting that she was flown by Margo McKellar one time member of the Tiger Club.

Margo featured in this interesting video of flying decades ago

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's the reg of the white/red Supercub at 2:58 on that video? ARAM?

Rob
By Rob L
Lovely video! Some nice air-to-air footage. Interesting to see Battersea power station as it was, smoke & all!

G-ASHH met it's end at Leicester due to a ground fire, of some sorts.
By Genghis the Engineer
foxmoth wrote:
It's one of those questions......is the Condor a joy because of it vintage or in spite of it

In both modern and vintage aircraft there are aircraft that are a joy to fly and those that are not, some of the vintage that are not nice to handle have their own magic about them (Auster and dH82a spring to mind), I cannot think of any modern types that in my mind have any sort of magic in spite of their handling though some like the RVs have a magic because of the handling. IMHO the Condor is a type that just handles well. :thumright:

Yes.

I've flown 3-figure types, and think that I've had the training and experience to compare them meaningfully.

I no longer have a share in one, but I have an extremely high regard for the Condor as I think it has crisp well balanced controls, and stability and speed-range characteristics that make it easy to fly safely, and moderately challenging to fly well. That works very well for me as a combination, and I was sorry to see ours go.

Aircraft design is not an exact science, but to be fair it's one that's been well understood for a long time. The Condor is an aeroplane that got it right from the viewpoint of maintainability, running costs and handling - with adequate if not exactly sparkling performance, when some other types have seen designers perhaps a bit less energetic in ensuring that they got it right.

The main thing I'd change is the canopy, which I never liked very much, and in a perfect world I'd have it in modern composites - as I said when I started this thread back whenever. But so long as you can hangar it, and aren't too lazy in your handling - it's a joy to own and fly. I like to believe that the designers got it right deliberately rather than by accident - but the state of the science was good enough at that time to design an aeroplane this good deliberately.

G
By zlhglp
I have its little sister, a Turbulent, and I've often thought that might be a fun aircraft to 're-wing' with a carbon spar, ideally to the stage where it might be capable of light aerobatics. They fairly often get spar damage during heavy landings so gradually you'd end up converting much of the fleet. Alas the design work for such a mod is well beyond my abilities.

Have you ever flown one Genghis? If not, you'd be welcome to fly mine at some point.
By Vtr1000
1st solo 04 Apr 78 in GAWEI at RAFC Flying Club Cranwell, off the north airfield. Throughly enjoyed the Condor always reckoned that it was underrated. Had to go around as some chap walked across the runway when I was on final, saw me coming and rather than move away proceeded to walk backwards, watching me, lengthways up the runway!
By mattmoxon
gaznav wrote:I'm a big lad at 6ft 1inch and fit in my Condor. Here is a video showing me in it...

Looks like a try for size then, thanks.
By Genghis the Engineer
zlhglp wrote:I have its little sister, a Turbulent, and I've often thought that might be a fun aircraft to 're-wing' with a carbon spar, ideally to the stage where it might be capable of light aerobatics. They fairly often get spar damage during heavy landings so gradually you'd end up converting much of the fleet. Alas the design work for such a mod is well beyond my abilities.

Have you ever flown one Genghis? If not, you'd be welcome to fly mine at some point.

I haven't, and would love to take you up on that offer.

I really don't have those sort of composite design skills unfortunately - but I know people who do. It would be a chat worth having as I can think of ways that might be done relatively cheaply.

G