Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:@Genghis the Engineer , So how far have you got with the carbon fibre one you seemed so keen on, on page 1! :lol: We are waiting you know!

Nowhere at all, lovely idea, sadly reliant on rather more spare time than I seem to have in my life.

At the moment - I think I might go the whole hog and try and make it all-electric if I did.

G

Go on, I dare you! :lol:
gaznav liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My only condor experience is the time that I part owned and flew GAVOH - the rather splendid and pretty example featured on many photos on here (and part of the interior on my avatar)

Very fond memories of flying her hitter and dither.

Easiest taildragger I have ever flown.
gaznav liked this
By oldbiggincfi
Genghis the Engineer wrote:At the moment - I think I might go the whole hog and try and make it all-electric if I did.

Go on !!! Start by resurrecting .

Plans for homebuilders -in wood with a Rotax Engine .

I'd pay a fiver just for nostalgia .
gaznav liked this
By Smaragd
MichaelP wrote:The Condor, though French by design, is one of the sweetest flying aeroplanes you can have.
The Emeraude could be argued to be slightly sweeter, but a bit delicate too.

What you need is a Smaragd. :D
gaznav, G-JWTP liked this
By MichaelP
The Emeraude - CAP series of aeroplanes are very pretty, your own Spitfire with the elliptical wing.

But they will not put up with the bashing the Condors took, perhaps ‘take’ if there are nasty pilots on here :roll:

The Condor was as per the book.
A stall is a stall.
A spin is easy to get into, and normal to recover from.
The landing is not as difficult as many tailwheel types, but shows errors a land-o-matic nose dragger won’t.
In my opinion the Condor is the best trainer I have ever flown. In this guise it is faultless.

Flying a Condor depends on whether you have predator or prey genes.

Prey are Cessna 172 pilots, it’s okay, they are steady and stable. Sheep in a field are nice to look at too, and are easier to look at from a high wing aeroplane.

The Condors’ controls are for predator pilots who dream of flying Spitfires. They are responsive, bring a grin to ones face, and a temptation to pounce on unsuspecting prey... Perhaps that’s a downside to a trainer in today’s politically correct world.
gaznav, Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By Arclite01
I often wonder why there is no 2 seat Twister.

That would really something - especially if the undercarriage was beefed up to take the rigours of training.

Regards

Arc
By johncondor
"The Condors’ controls are for predator pilots who dream of flying Spitfires. They are responsive, bring a grin to ones face, and a temptation to pounce on unsuspecting prey... "
A brilliant summary if I may say so. Trouble is that most "unsuspecting prey" are going too fast.
Flyin'Dutch', Arclite01, Sooty25 and 2 others liked this
By Sooty25
johncondor wrote:" Trouble is that most "unsuspecting prey" are going too fast.

maybe not for GtE's, Carbon fibre, gas turbine hybrid powered version!
By Bill McCarthy
Well, if I can go solo in one after just 11 hours ( G-AWSN at Rochester in ‘76) anyone can !
After all the hammering it got doing spins, I used to think - “I hope the bliddy engine stays attached coming out of them”
gaznav, mick w, MichaelP and 1 others liked this
By kanga
johncondor wrote:"The Condors’ controls are for predator pilots who dream of flying Spitfires. ..".

a family friend learnt to fly on Condors at Fairoaks ('70s). Her first post-PPL passenger was her mother, who had been an ATA pilot including on Spitfires, but had not flown P1 since 1945. She let Mum take control, who loved the Condor.
Paul_Sengupta, mick w, MichaelP and 2 others liked this
By Andrew b
Hi all I've always liked the look of the condor so decided to buy one .Mine has an 0240.she's abit of a gas guzzler but short fiekd ability is good and she just climbs non stop 1200 ' min. I flown and owned about 15 types from taildragger thruster microlights to c150 Rallys etc but the condor is the most stable of any of them and one of the most forgiving in a cross wind which surprised me ☺But I have a question mine has a very pronounced toe in which make it hard to pull out the hanger and scrubs the tyres it lands and taxis fine .is there anyway I can reduce it or adjust it.The legs were rebuilt 250 hrs ago there is no twisting in them...know there supposed to toe in abit but mine looks like a duck.
By the way I'm based at south scarle so if Mick or Barry read this would be nice to see you in HZ
Cheers Andrew
By mick w
Andrew b wrote:Hi all I've always liked the look of the condor so decided to buy one .Mine has an 0240.she's abit of a gas guzzler but short fiekd ability is good and she just climbs non stop 1200 ' min. I flown and owned about 15 types from taildragger thruster microlights to c150 Rallys etc but the condor is the most stable of any of them and one of the most forgiving in a cross wind which surprised me ☺But I have a question mine has a very pronounced toe in which make it hard to pull out the hanger and scrubs the tyres it lands and taxis fine .is there anyway I can reduce it or adjust it.The legs were rebuilt 250 hrs ago there is no twisting in them...know there supposed to toe in abit but mine looks like a duck.
By the way I'm based at south scarle so if Mick or Barry read this would be nice to see you in HZ
Cheers Andrew

PM sent
Mick
By Andrew b
It wont let me pm you Mick because ive only just joined its always nice to have vistors it a bit quiet at ss. Thanks for that gaznav guess I'll have to have some tyres on standby :salut:
gaznav liked this