Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Reading the occurrence reports I came across an incident near Edinburgh where an aircraft was spotted squawking "Lost FIR" 0030. This is a new one on me, does anyone know how this works and whether it is unique to the Scottish FIR?
By Talkdownman
This is a long-standing UK procedure. See UK IAIP ENR 1.6-6 Para 2.2.5.5:

Any pilot who believes they are flying in the vicinity of the aerodromes listed below who is lost or temporarily uncertain of position should immediately seek navigational assistance from the appropriate radar unit. Alternatively, they should select code 0030 and contact either London or Scottish Centre on 121.500 MHz for assistance.

In simple terms lost pilot calls D & D 121.5 as 'lost' (or 'uncertain of position'). Pilot may select 0030, or be instructed to select 0030. D & D will inform pilot of position.

Any radar controller seeing 0030 may telephone D & D with position. 0030 might be displayed as converted alphanumerics eg. 'FIRLOST'.
By johnm
Well I'm blowed, you never stop learning.......
PeteSpencer liked this
By James Chan
And you can bet someone will use it on the continent when they get "lost" at some point in future too...
By joe-fbs
Just thought I would resurrect this one for general information as it is mentioned in this quarter’s GASCO Flight Safety and I cannot recall ever knowing about it after more than ten years flying.
By PeteSpencer
joe-fbs wrote:Just thought I would resurrect this one for general information as it is mentioned in this quarter’s GASCO Flight Safety and I cannot recall ever knowing about it after more than ten years flying.

+1 in 25 years' flying :oops:
By James Chan
Pilot may select 0030

So when two or more non-mode-S pilots are lost in a similar area and they all squawk 0030, what happens?

I’ve been lost twice and found twice - thanks to radar services assigning me another code - and so I never used this code.
By chevvron
James Chan wrote:
Pilot may select 0030

So when two or more non-mode-S pilots are lost in a similar area and they all squawk 0030, what happens?

I’ve been lost twice and found twice - thanks to radar services assigning me another code - and so I never used this code.

The 0030 ALERTS D & D that someone is lost, they will then broadcast blind on 121.5 to try to make 2 -way contact with it.
By James Chan
The 0030 ALERTS D & D that someone is lost, they will then broadcast blind on 121.5 to try to make 2 -way contact with it.

But you haven’t really answered the question though.
By neaton
Iceman wrote:Does one put in 7730 if you are really, really lost :lol: .

Iceman 8)

I think that one denotes "Unsure of position but it's OK, there's a ruddy great airport below me.".
By Bert Presley
A dim and ghostly memory says to me:

If lost, fly one minute legs in a triangular pattern (sixty degree turns).

All turns to the left if you have a working radio (turn to the left if you have radio 'left').

All turns to the right if no radio (somebody will come and find you).

Amazing how this stuff sticks. But not worth a tinker's cuss nowadays :shock:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this