Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Quite rightly, there is some pretty plain talking by the panel on the CAA's woeful performance concerning Mode-S, GPS and the lack of progress on GNSS approaches and their dogged insistence over NDB's.

Good stuff and could have gone further.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There's some great stuff in there.

I do wonder how many of the 'recommendations' will ever be acted upon!
By stevelup
Interesting factoid very near the beginning:-

The GA Red Tape Challenge received three times as many responses as any other Government RTC exercise; illustrating the strength of feeling within the sector and the real need and opportunity for change.
By David Roberts
wsmempson wrote:.......Good stuff and could have gone further.

It is the interim report. Meaning more to come (end April)
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I look forward to swift action from the UK Government following…

Recommendation 20: the Government should, with immediate effect, issue a general exemption
from the requirement to obtain permission for paid flight instruction to the owner (or joint
owners) of a foreign‐registered aircraft.

Ian
By Keef
Should we move this to the Red Tape forum and merge it with bookworm's thread there?
By Dave W
Can anybody say whether the panel have seen ,and included in their deliberations, the contents of the Flyer Red Tape and Gold Plate forum?

It's not clear from the interim report, and if they haven't then (for the forum contents to have value) they need forwarding to the panel prior to their final report in April.
By bookworm
I doubt it. Don't you think they would have much better things to do with their time than reading what folks you and I have to say, particularly this late at night? But, you never know, maybe there's a chance they'll cover some of it in the final report.
By Keef
Er ... bookworm, do you have inside information about that? :twisted:
By matthew_w100
How could anyone write an interim report on red tape that is 70 pages long? That is irony upon irony.
By Arnold Rimmer
Dave W wrote:Can anybody say whether the panel have seen ,and included in their deliberations, the contents of the Flyer Red Tape and Gold Plate forum?

It's not clear from the interim report, and if they haven't then (for the forum contents to have value) they need forwarding to the panel prior to their final report in April.

Government policy being formed as the result of reading an internet forum?? Which reality am I in now?

The people on the panel were picked by ministers. They are known to ministers so probably have they mindset that a long report will demonstrate they have done their job properly. I think they have covered a good range of topics and, after an initial skim, I think the balance is about right. Some odd things are in there, such as the N-reg requirement for a DfT waiver for training. Yes, it's red tape but not high on my list.

However, after my recent contact with CAA, I wonder if they have the time and staff to deal with any of this. The CAA routinely take much longer to complete tasks that the time they claim it should published on the website. Can you imagine the time needed to re-train staff not to be so petty?? I think the CAA will collapse under the sea of change.