Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lowtimer
masterofnone wrote:Does the Jodel design have existing IP protection (patents etc)? It's quite an old design and IIRC, patents only last 20 years (??)

It seems such a popular aircraft, with many people aspiring to want one, but put off by having no option other than to build from plans.

I would have thought there was a pretty good opportunity for a kit manufacturer to take the design and manufacture it so as to make it more accessible. The fact that this hasn't happened leads me to think there is a good reason. Any ideas?

Some aeroplane designs may well incorporate patented features but the basis of the IP protection of an aeroplane design is not patent at all but other forms, principally this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial ... pean_Union
... which lasts for 25 years. Further to that, many aspects of the expression of the design, such as the actual plans (or CAD files these days), building instructions, and other forms of documentation, and some sculptural forms, are likely to be covered by copyright which lasts for the life of the creator plus 25 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_ ... pean_Union
By golfcharlie
Jodel Plans are still easily available. Google Jodel Yahoo Forum and they are easily found. Available in the original French, and redrawn in English. That covers all the copyright questions. The original designer is Jean Delemontez, who happily is still very much alive.
Jodel design does go back many years, but that doesn't mean poor performance. On the contrary: my DR1051M1 has a range of 1000 km, carries three, cruises at 105 kt & 21 litres mogas/hr, good for short grass strips, and looks great. Nothing else will beat that at the same affordable price.
By hatzflyer
What do you call affordable ? I reckon a recently rebuilt 1050 with a decent panel and low or zero houred engine will go for £30k or more if they get IMC/night approval.

I turned down an offer of £28k for mine simply because there is nothing to replace it with at that price.
By golfcharlie
This month's LAA magazine has a classified ad for a Jodel Ambassadeur.Completely rebuilt, maintained & serviced. Permit by Ernie Horsfall. Location who cares! Be quick. Ernie knows it all, so don't waste his time. When it comes to Jodels, he has seen the lot. He has overhauled more Jodels than I have had birthdays.
By Vikingcnp
Jodel cockpit size? Can anyone give me a legroom estimate for a D11? I want to build a D11. I am 6’5 and 150 kilos . I know that a aD9 won’t work. Before I buy plans I want to make sure that I can make head and leg room work.
By romille
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I'm currently spending £23k just for an overhaul of mine. :-(

I know that everything in aviation is stupidly expensive but have never got my head around how overhauling and engine can cost such an enormous sum of money, especially as mostly they would not be considered modern technology.
By ChrisRowland
Vikingcnp wrote:Jodel cockpit size? Can anyone give me a legroom estimate for a D11? I want to build a D11. I am 6’5 and 150 kilos . I know that a aD9 won’t work. Before I buy plans I want to make sure that I can make head and leg room work.

Look on G-Info for examples of the type you are interested in, contact the owner and ask for a look, maybe a sit in it. Many owners would be happy to show you round.

150 kg is a lot, the seat limit may be a problem, that's often about 100 to 120 kg.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With respect, I doubt you will find very many aircraft of any type, (group A or permit) that will accommodate you comfortably.

Try a C182 / 206 or Cherokee 6 or Saratoga.