Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By simon_gci
I see with the latest SD update you can integrate with PowerFlarm for traffic information/collision avoidance, has anybody done this or has anybody got any screen shots. Can the integration be done with blue tooth or do you need cables everywhere? also any ideas on pricing? Thanks in advance.
By Blueskys
I see from the screen shot that no height information is given?
By simon_gci
Thanks for that Steve, I like the screen shot (not on face book so hadn't seen that, may have to drag myself into the 21st century) a couple of things, will you be able to get any altitude information or just an aircraft icon? Also (excuse my ignorance) you say you interface between Ipad and PowerFlarm with this butterfly gizmo using wifi, how do I get wifi when flying?
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Butterfly Connect unit creates an ad-hoc network with the iPad - you don't need a working WiFi connection.

I'm sure more capability will be added in terms of altitude indication. This is very early days at the moment.

Personally, I wouldn't rush out and buy anything just now. I think the SkyDemon folks are talking to Zaon about integration with the XRX, and of course ADS-B may be closer than you think.
By flybymike
I notice from the screenshot that other aircraft are depicted green in colour.

Presumably green could be used to indicate no perceived altitude conflict, and red used to indicate either current or potential conflict (dependent on whether each aircraft were descending/climbing etc.)

Similarly amber could also be used for the same purpose and flashing red for imminent danger?
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
That's pretty much how it works. Other aircraft turn yellow then red if they're a threat. Their altitude is written alongside their symbol, and you can get more information on them by touching them. They are small until they're within 1000 feet vertically, at which point they get bigger.
By Arnold Rimmer
Tim Dawson wrote:That's pretty much how it works. Other aircraft turn yellow then red if they're a threat. Their altitude is written alongside their symbol, and you can get more information on them by touching them. They are small until they're within 1000 feet vertically, at which point they get bigger.

From what is says in their blurb, I don't think Powerflarm will show transponding aircraft positions, only ranges. Is that the same on SD or are you displaying both Flarming aircraft and transponding aircraft as aircraft symbols where they actually are?
By flybymike
Tim, will the altitude box include an up or down arrow to indicate whether the other aircraft is climbing or descending?
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
PowerFlarm doesn't give any bearing information for Mode C targets so these are displayed as a range circle only.

We currently indicate whether another aircraft is climbing or descending by putting a little plus or minus sign after its altitude.
By sky_high30
This may seem like a stupid question...

I have a Colibri-F which is a gliding logger with a flarm system built in. Is it compatible? If so it's a brilliant solution - especially as I'm based at a gliding club where most of the aircraft based here have FLARM...

Oh, and will it work on Android...
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
That system will be compatible, yes, because any Flarm-compatible system is compatible with the Butterfly Connect unit which you'd need to get. You'd probably need a special cable though, to go from the data port on your device to the Connect unit. You'd need to talk to Butterfly about that.

And yes, it all works on Android.
By Peter Gristwood
We were talking about this development yesterday and one thing we aren't clear about is the uptake of Flarm in the UK

We know that on the continent it is commonly fitted to gliders, but how is it in the UK? I guess Rod1 would probably have some idea, but do we know how it is going.
By AlanB
I suspect the uptake in FLARM will increase significantly now that Skydemon will integrate with it. I will certainly consider PowerFlarm as an addition to our panel which has an iPad mounted on it.
By Rod1
In the UK around 80% of the “touring” glider fleet has Flarm but very few of the “local soring” fleet outside of a few clubs with have rules mandating it. In the power world there are boxes like PowerFlarm which are trickling in. The UK distributer could give you a full answer on both. My tests on PF show the ADSB side to be 1st Class, but of zero practical value till the rules change, Flarm is a complete solution but has limited takeup and the Mode C detection is very poor, particularly for the first 10 min after takoff if you have a transponder turned on.

There is quite a bit of kit that will connect to a std FLARM output including MGL kit and PFMS.

Rod1