Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By markpodbery
Hi all,

Does anyone know what is the most GA friendly Lyon airport? I know there are 2 or 3 airports there!

I understand the main one is Lyon-Saint Exupery has anyone been there? I just wondered landing fee wise!

Thanks

Mark
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Since Keef mentioned it recently, I've been using eddh.de as a source of reviews (PIREPS, as they call them) on European airfields.

They have info on Lyon-St. Ex and Lyon-Bron (21 PIREPs). I'm not a German speaker, so Google Translate is my friend. :)

There are also pages for other nearby fields, linked as alternates from each of the pages above.
By Rob P
Bron is very GA friendly and convenient.

Rob P
Pete L liked this
By Chilli Monster
Bron.

Don't even consider St-Exupery, they're not geared up for GA at all. Also, and possibly more importantly (depending on what you fly) - Avgas NOT available.
By Aerotech Flyer
Bron in every sense!
It is more central, it is the GA airport for Lyon and it has a great restaurant!
The handling is excellent through the Aeroports de Lyon.
Pot luck if forumite Adrian is home at the time, but PM him for all your Lyon inside info!
Cheers
AF
By GrahamB
Bron is the only one. I drop in there twice a year generally. If VFR, be prepared to arrive and depart via the VRPs and specified routes, as they are strictly adhered to.

Great restaurant, and there is a Kyriad hotel walking distance from the field, which also has a reasonable restaurant. There is a Macdonalds another couple of hundred yards further on if that's your thing. Top tip for the hotel is to book on-line, as it's much cheaper than turning up cold, cancellation at no charge up to 6 pm same day.

Landing and overnight parking is normally about 21€ for an AA5.

Lyon is a lovely city, but a taxi in will cost you about 40€. There is a tram service out to Bron, but it's about a kilometre walk to the nearest stop. I've never used it.
Ibra liked this
By johnp
I had to be NW of Lyon last year and stopped at Villefranche Tarare LFHV which is about 12nm outside centre. Great place, very welcoming. French A/A but field manager (Patrick I think) has good English. Had us refuelled, parked (c. 10Euro from memory) and looked after us in minutes.
By GrahamB
Bepy pilot wrote:Don't forget that if you file your own FP to Bron that you need to address it also to the French National Police (Address in Bron's AIP entry) as the President's plane goes in there as bit and they want to know who is around.
It's interesting that one. At one time you had to notify every flight whether on an FPL or not, and a telephone and fax number were given in the AIP. However, that requirement disappeared from the AIP some time ago, and the only reference remaining is the entry buried in ENR 1.11 of LFFACDCV as an additional required address.

As I never go in and out of Bron on an FPL I haven't pre-notified for the last 3-4 years inbound or outbound and haven't been shot down yet!

I'm assuming if you did, Olivia and SkyDemon would take care of that; it would only be when filing via AFPEx that you'd need to worry about it.
By jtuggey
Just wondering if anyone has flown into Bron more recently and whether anything has changed?
By Rob P
@jtuggey

Yes.

No.

Rob P
By 2Donkeys
jtuggey wrote:Just wondering if anyone has flown into Bron more recently and whether anything has changed?

Bron is great. A few additional points of detail:

1. Not so many years ago, even small aircraft could park outside the main terminal where your walk to the desk and beyond was just 20 metres. Now you will be parked some way north of the terminal where there is a more substantial walk.

2. Fuelling used to be by bowser direct to your aircraft outside the terminal building. Now it is by credit card and Air BP self service pumps near where you will be parked.

3. There is a great Novotel within a short walk of the terminal with a pool and reasonably priced rooms. Not bad for a nightstop.

4. Also nearby is a Courtepaille restaurant. This little French chain does great steaks and similar cooked over an open fire along with some very welcoming beer after a long leg.
Rob P, Ibra liked this
By Adrian
One thing which has changed is the notification period for customs and immigration. They need 24hrs prior notice, and you need to make your request on a working day if you need them at weekends or on public holidays.

An update to the post about Villefranche above: Patrick, the airfield manager, left to open a bar in Bandol on the Mediterranean coast. He is greatly missed and has not been replaced - so it is harder for visitors to sort out taxis or accommodation. Fuel is now self-service with a credit card for avgas or jet fuel. The old NDB has been removed and there is now a GPS ‘cloud break’ approach.
2Donkeys liked this