Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By malcolmfrost
The C180 I currently fly is an ex Hamble one, still going strong and flying beautifully after all the abuse, must be 40 years old at least.
Didn't know Hamble flew Cessnas.
Once upon a time, I owned a PA28R-180 and a PA28-181 simultaneously. Much preferred the Hershey Bar. The tapered wing felt sloppy and only half in control on a slow approach. Anything faster and it floated for ever.
Hershey Bar either flew or it didn't, in and out of 450 metres! :D

spellin'
Last edited by Cumulo-nimbus on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shame it has to be named after the most disgusting chocolate on the planet!................
By PeteSpencer
Cumulo-nimbus wrote:Didn't know Hamble flew Cessnas.
'

They flew Cherokees and IIRC they modified them by putting glazed panels in the roof following a run of mid air dinks or somesuch........

There are still a few of these flying:

Picture anyone?

Oh bu&&er can't get picture to appear: Just google 'Hamble Cherokees with roof windows' !

Pictures will always appear if you do it right. See instructions here.

Peter
By David Viewing
No-ones mentioned the real advantage of the older Cherokees - the Chevrolet window winder trim control.

You could look like a real pilot, having to adjust something in ceiling, so much more impressive than groping your passenger's bottom trying to find the horrible trim wheel thing in the Warrior. Just my opinion, of course....
By Rob P
I'm with you on that.

I really miss frantically winding the 'sunroof' as I turn base

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
David Viewing wrote:No-ones mentioned the real advantage of the older Cherokees - the Chevrolet window winder trim control.

You could look like a real pilot, having to adjust something in ceiling, so much more impressive than groping your passenger's bottom trying to find the horrible trim wheel thing in the Warrior. Just my opinion, of course....

Can't agree there

What couldn't be more intuitive than two handfuls of quadrant trim wheel in the obvious direction.

You'll be wanting plunger throttles next..... :roll:
By David Viewing
You'll be wanting plunger throttles next.....

Funny you should say that - isn't the Cessna vernier mixture control sooo much better than the Warrior's lawn mower attachment ?
By PeteSpencer
David Viewing wrote:

Funny you should say that - isn't the Cessna vernier mixture control sooo much better than the Warrior's lawn mower attachment ?

That must be why Piper binned the plunger 40 years ago. :lol:
By Sir Morley Steven
Pete S wrote:Shame it has to be named after the most disgusting chocolate on the planet!................

Naah that's the Piper Aztec.
By Jim Jones
David Viewing wrote:

Passengers find it reassuring to see something that looks like it came from an aircraft rather than a car choke knob
By Old Pilot
David Viewing wrote:No-ones mentioned the real advantage of the older Cherokees - the Chevrolet window winder trim control.

I have to agree there as a former owner of Europe's oldest flying PA28. G-ARRP (Now G-LIZI) Image
By Old Pilot
Sir Morley Steven wrote:When I fly in the slab wing Cherokees the trim reminds me of the destination board winder on buses.
I'm never sure what they put on for circuits.

Like buses it's up to you.

The throttle is just as weird for newcomers to GA.
By flyingeeza
Much preferred the old sunroof trim...more accurate and much faster response, and you could count the number of turns plus a bit that you needed as you turn onto base.

Also, I sometimes find it impossible to reach the floor trim without awkwardly asking my fat-@rsed passenger to move over a little! Then she gets the hump... ?