Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingeeza
Sorry went off topic a bit there...definitely the old laminar flow Hershey bar for me...I need all the help I can get!
By A le Ron
I must admit I like the ceiling mounted trim control. So much easier to get at. And, having previously owned a Cessna, I find the plunger throttle very natural too, though it doesn't look as cool as a quadrant throttle! :thumright:
By malcolmfrost
The mid air was a real nasty, two killed after colliding in the circuit. There were 10 in the circuit at the time!
They used to do night circuits in the Barons off grass with goosenecks flares, could be interesting when the grass was wet with a crosswind.
NW is the one I'm flying, the current owner has had her since Hamble closed.
Any others around?
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have to say I can't see how they fly differently. Just to flesh out that comment I have flown tapered wing archers, warriors and arrows and they are all different from each other even among the same type! They're all different but the same.
By PeteSpencer
What is it about the roof winder trimmer that gives everybody the warm and fuzzy feeling?

How the hell do you know which way to wind it?

cf. the intuitive floor trim wheel.

@SM: Shirley you recognise different handling between the Hershey Bar and Tapered wing? Or do we read into your post that haven't flown the slabwing variant?
A floaty Archer once caught me out in USA in a big and special way.......... :roll:
By Sir Morley Steven
I have flown most of the variants including slab and tapered wing. Apart from issues surrounding engine power I honestly can't tell the difference. I have been unable to get a slab wing Archer to do anything other than the mushy stall the tapered wing is famous for and I have witnessed the brick like glide and desire to crash land every time of a tapered wing arrer.
I can't say I have noticed any differences I could attribute to the wing.
By riverrock
I much prefer the floor trim wheel. It always takes me a couple of attempts to find the roof winder, and I invariably turn it the wrong way every time... also I have to move my hand further from the throttle. Mind you - I've only flown an Archer once (with quadrant & floor trim) compared to the 1966 PA28-140 which I was flying at the weekend (with most of my flying on a Bulldog). With the archer, the wing is longer, tapered, I'm told more efficient and you have to be more precise on speed when landing as otherwise it will float further. I understand its a bit more stable in roll.

My memory is that the Archer isn't certified for intentional spinning but the Cherokee is? Could that have something to do with the stats previously quoted - or is that another type specific thing?
By Rob P
riverrock wrote: It always takes me a couple of attempts to find the roof winder, and I invariably turn it the wrong way every time

Ah, there is a secret :sunny:

It's hard to put it into words, but the winder works in the natural sense on the driver's side of the cockpit.

So if you are looking at it from below and winding anti-clockwise then once it's on the driver's side it it travelling towards the nose, pushing the nose down.

If winding it clockwise, on the driver's side it is travelling towards the tail of the aeroplane, and thus lifting the nose.

Far easier in practice, particularly if it is relatively low geared so you can leave the handle 'parked' on the driver's side most of the time.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Ah , I see: simple and intuitive :

A bit like 'push the floor trim wheel forward for nose down, pull it back for nose up'

Peter
By Rob P
Yes, exactly the same.

Rob P
By Stramash61
malcolmfrost wrote:The mid air was a real nasty, two killed after colliding in the circuit. There were 10 in the circuit at the time!
They used to do night circuits in the Barons off grass with goosenecks flares, could be interesting when the grass was wet with a crosswind.
NW is the one I'm flying, the current owner has had her since Hamble closed.
Any others around?

Our group's 180 is an ex-Hamble machine, G-ONET, based at Elstree. Hershey bar wing, with as much plexiglass as a German bomber. Still flying very nicely, thank you, and I think I prefer the slab wing as well.
By Ridders
Sir Morley Steven wrote:I've never floated. Blimey. My nose has just grown a bit.
Neither have I. :whistle: Remember Compton :lol:
By Sir Morley Steven
Never been there. :whistle: