Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As I said it is a back up - to a back up to a back up.
But having tested it extensively in VFR conditions - it is never out by more than 20 ft horizontally and 50 ft vertically - and I would feel confident using it to get into places I already know well. My biggest concern is the 3 degree slope over un-charted / unprotected terrain - much lower than on a normal VFR approach.
By Paul_Sengupta
BoeingBoy wrote:No offence to SkyDemon but I tried using their ILS display out of curiosity some time back and it flew me into the ground a mile before the threshold.

What were you using for your GPS source? An internal tablet/phone GPS?

I'd only feel confident using this if I were using an EGNOS capable GPS such as that on the PilotAware. Checked the other day, was within 10ft of my altimeter.

Boxkite wrote:I wouldn't trust that app at all; I just looked up an airfield and the approaches have the old runway numbers that were changed a few years ago.

Why, do you think the elevation or true heading will have changed? :D
By Boxkite
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Why, do you think the elevation or true heading will have changed? :D

:D
I had assumed the app would have a database of approaches to choose from, and in this case a 25/07 approach when there is no such runway at that airfield.
By Lefty
Boxkite wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Why, do you think the elevation or true heading will have changed? :D

:D
I had assumed the app would have a database of approaches to choose from, and in this case a 25/07 approach when there is no such runway at that airfield.

The database is updated by the developer based on errors being reported to him by users. So why not email him to apprise him of the required updates? I believe he is a one man operation and therefore doesn’t have a staff of people looking for errors.

The user instructions do say
(1) this app is intended to allow pilots to practice simulated ILS approaches, in VMC, at airfields that do not have an ILS - and it is not to be used for real IMC approaches
(2) that users should check the accuracy of the database by using the map function to confirm runway details and target touchdown point.

THIS IS A £9.00 APP on your phone - it is not a Garmin or Avidyne device and every user is not paying £3-400 per annum to buy a regulated database.

You get what you pay for!
kanga, Ian Melville liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
@Lefty

Practise on an App, without selectinv, identifying and displaying the ILS, most likely without an observer, I hazard a guess without the increased sensitivity a normal ILS/Approach has, dragging it at 3 degrees whilst other cct traffic makes a normal cct and approach, without the requisite radiocalls, without the a missed approach etc etc etc.

Not good and poor practise.
By Lefty
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Can you edit the database? On GPSILS you can edit the file to put in your own coordinates, direction and glideslope, either editing what's already there or creating your own.

Yes you can. You can insert or edit the coordinates then view it on the built in aerial photography.
By SGS66
Could all those who are hijacking this thread kindly go elsewhere and leave it to matters relating just to PA28s.

For instance would any PA28 driver like to give info they might have on Oil Temperatures in the cruise?

For the last four years I have been blanking my oil cooler partially in the winter to get the oil temp higher and boil off water contamination more efficiently. With 3/4 blanking I manage to achieve (in my Archer 2) for example Oil Temp 173F with OAT 8C, power setting 2250rpm.

Sorry to mix up F and C but my engine monitor is from the Good Old USA
but at least it allows OAT in centigrade. Old gauges will have oil temps in F.

I used to submit my engine parameters to an American web site for the first couple of years that i had the engine monitor and they gather together all Archer 2 data and helpfully tell you where you are in cohort with Oil Temp. They reported that my winter oil temps were bottom quartile so eventually i thought i would do something about it.

If there is interest, i could supply the graph of Oil Temp/OAT

There is a small spread of Oil Temps in my results for any particular OAT.

There is a placard in my aircraft saying that when the OAT falls below 50F the 'winterization' plate should be fitted. Piper, these days, don't have a clue about this plate.

How about that for getting the thread back on track?
By SGS66
Is anybody monitoring Oil Temp in the cruise during the winter?

I have been blanking my oil cooler for several winters to increase winter oil temp.

I have an 0-360 engine and there is no way to keep Oil Temp in a reasonable range during the winter without partially blanking off the cooler. I use 3/4 blanking and get for an example, in the cruise at 2000-3000 feet,

1C OAT, OIL temp 172F and average CHT 331F for 55% power
Oil temp stable after 14 mins of flying, above is second flight of the day.

My aircraft has a placard requiring 'WINTERIZATION PLATE' below 50F

They are impossible to order so had to make one.

My temps monitored with ED830 2 sec intervals
By Flyin'Dutch'
1. To boil of any water in your oil the temperature of the oil needs to be >100 degrees C; that is (100°C × 9/5) + 32 = 212°F.

2. IIRC the winterization (sic) plate covers the whole of the mouth of the oil cooler, not just 3/4.

3. The book says remove it above 10 degrees C, which is slightly different from mandating it below that temperature.

4. If with that the gauge was somewhere in the mid yellow to mid green part of the arch I'd be happy.

5. Too much thinking makes the head hurt.

6. Fly often and long and be happy with a healthy engine.
By SGS66
Thanks for your comments FD

First No 4

Beware old gauges. Speaking from experience see photo.
My old gauge for oil temp is i don't know how old - my archer built 1977.
The engine monitor from 2015
[rimg]https://i.imgur.com/LaWk0bf.jpg[600/rimg]

By the way.... the mixture must have been best power as the fuel flow is 8 us galls per hour