Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Well thanks for that but I haven't a clue on whose behalf I posted now.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By BoeingBoy
I don't think sitting around in the sort of damp conditions we have experienced this year helps

My Century IIIb has on two occasions following winter groundings of a couple of months shown an unwillingness to work first time out. On this occasion I put a portable air blower/heater on the cabin floor for the four hours or so that it took me to clean the aircraft. Basic checks showed it worked afterwards, and since then it's been fine in the air.

They don't like it up 'em! (Moisture that is). :P
Last edited by BoeingBoy on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BoeingBoy wrote:
I don't think sitting around in the sort of damp conditions we have experienced this year helps

My Century IIIb has on two occasions following winter groundings of a couple of months shown an unwillingness to work first time out. On this occasion I put a portable air blower/heater on the cabin floor for the four hours or so that it took me to clean the aircraft. Basic checks showed it worked afterwards, and since then it's been fine. in the air.

They don't like it up 'em! (Moisture that is). :P

Quick semihijack question for@BoeingBoy
(I have posted on Technical).

What drives your Century IIIB A/P?
Not Garmin GNS430W by any chance?
By BoeingBoy
I did have a 430W which was driving a Garmin MD200-306 CDI. I changed to an Avidyne 440 last year.

Both work fine with the A/P in any of the Nav modes. I'm quite impressed with the Avidyne's localiser tracking.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lefty wrote:I’ve posted details of the ILS App under the technical forum. Made by Sparcliff it is on the Apple App Store or http://www.ilsapp.com.

The developer is :
Jason dot brown at Sparcliff dot co dot uk

Blimey! That's a bit good:

Worthy of further study :thumright:

Its even got Knettishall coded in :wink:
By BoeingBoy
YOUR USE OF THIS APPLICATION IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK

So says the app page and it could not be more appropriate. Be very aware that 'simulating' an ILS is fraught with risks. I would not even contemplate using this as a cloud break into the circuit unless extensively tested in CAVOK conditions.

No offence to SkyDemon but I tried using their ILS display out of curiosity some time back and it flew me into the ground a mile before the threshold.

If you want to crack flying an ILS there are two simple rules to make it easy:

1. Once established on the localiser nail the drift by either using the 'track error' display on your GPS or estimate 6deg/10kts of crosswind component if flying at 100kts.

2. Look at your ground speed and descend at 5x that figure. So 100kts is 500'.p.m.

Get those two right and maintain them and the needles will stay put to the DA.