Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By trevs99uk
Whilst out this afternoon noted a Paramotor at about 2000ft heading west well inside the R112 and the southend CTA

Can see one of them having a transponder or a flight plan so must have been breaking the restrictions.

TS
By Irv Lee
Did you call it in at the time? if he wasn't supposed to be there and he's simply unaware of what's going on airspace wise, it's unsafe for him, if he wasn't supposed to be there but he is aware of what's going on, better someone knows, and if he is supposed to be there, I'm sure they wouldn't actually mind being called about it.
By chevvron
Trouble is Atlas might not be able to see it. The Farnborough 10cm radar has a 'threshold speed' of 50kt ie anything with a GS less than this is processed out and not displayed so unless there is a very strong tailwind, a paramotor is unlikely to do anything like 50kt GS and would not appear on radar; this could well be the same with Atlas.
I have never encountered a paramotor 'driver' who is well versed in the rules which most of us follow although they probably exist!
There used to be one based near Farnham who not only would fly during the airshow RA(T) without asking permission from ATC but complained when one evening, he had a close encounter with a Lear which was downwind in the Farnborough visual circuit. This meant we found out his name and address, so we could keep an eye out for him.
By Rod1
“Trouble is Atlas might not be able to see it.”

Now we get a BBC item on “hole in Olympic security” “invisible threats” etc etc. :twisted:

Rod1
By jollyrog
A helium balloon with a label attached to a piece of string drifted past the window of my office at Euston this morning. I doubt it had a flight plan or a transponder and Euston is well inside the Prohibited Zone.
By Irv Lee
jollyrog wrote: helium

well I'm sure everyone's noticed you seem to know an awful lot about the contents of this balloon that wouldn't be obvious to a casual observer.... ;-)
By Lefty
Isn't that why they have visual spotters on rooftops at strategic points around London?
By Joff
There is at least one paramoter operating in the south east that is (or I guess the pilot is :D ) transponder and radio equipped.

And there are a lot more radars than just Farnborough's looking at the area - both land and air based.
By SteveN
I hope he's had all the children he wants then :)
By Irv Lee
Steve Neale wrote:I hope he's had all the children he wants then :)

Yes, I'd heard the snipers were good ;-)
By Neil MacG
Irv Lee wrote:
Steve Neale wrote:I hope he's had all the children he wants then :)

Yes, I'd heard the snipers were good ;-)

Was that a type Irv? Should it have been snippers?

:)