Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Wendy Lenden
Hoping to visit on Tuesday if we can get permission. Has anyone landed there? All Pooleys says is it's military, some gliding, no defined runways as such, just a field, and contact Salisbury ops. Before I do, anyone know how big a field it is, any other info would be appreciated.
By harry remmington
Its a bit more than just a Field - major parachute training and drop zone for army and civveys at weekends. Numerous Para dropping twins, singles and rotories operate. I think it was a WW1 RFC field with good flat grass at any heading....
kanga liked this
By Rotorhead
Bit of an under statement that was Wendy... :shock:

Best of luck :wink:
By RV3er
It's not exactly flat, but it's smooth! It's on top of a hill and slopes away to the West I think. They take Hercs in there occasionally so you should be alright.
By Wendy Lenden
That sounds just fine, thanks folks, all I need now is permission and some decent weather. :D
By Robert
According to the Wyvern (Army) Gliding Club web site the “field” covers an area of 130 acres. Look out for the red and white chequered double-decker bus!
By Dave W
There's a lot of gliding going on there, usually. The Wyverns often have 2 x winches on the go, and the ATC also have 2 x winches as well., so the field and sky above is often littered with white plastic :wink:

The Wyvern lot particularly are v. friendly - not least Gerry Sturgess, who instructs with them and flew the excellent K21 display at Middle Wallop's Music in the Air last night. Magnificent show, as usual. :D
By Robert
I have been privileged to see this particular display “routine”, the only descriptive that glides readily to mind is “perfect aerial ballet”.

Robert
By gaxor
Upavon was I believe the original RFC pilot training base
kanga liked this
By JodelDavo
I've landed there a few times on business with the Gliding club. No issues, have to get clearance from Salisbury Plain ranges prior to departure and call them on their frequency.
By AndyP
Hi all,

It's definitely PPR, and watch the curl over from the hangars if the wind's from the N/NW! - Also be aware of the almighty "grabbing hand" from "Gruneau Gulch" if you're coming in from the S/SE.

It's 575' amsl at the highest point, and almost 100' lower at the lowest!

There are three nominal runways, but only two are marked.

Oh, and beware 1) gliders/ winch cables and 2) D125 (-and also Netheravon!).

I hope this helps!

AndyP
By Dominie
AndyP wrote:Hi all,

It's definitely PPR, and watch the curl over from the hangars if the wind's from the N/NW! - Also be aware of the almighty "grabbing hand" from "Gruneau Gulch" if you're coming in from the S/SE.

It's 575' amsl at the highest point, and almost 100' lower at the lowest!

There are three nominal runways, but only two are marked.

Oh, and beware 1) gliders/ winch cables and 2) D125 (-and also Netheravon!).

I hope this helps!

AndyP

Well, it's a bit late - it might have helped Wendy in 2004...