Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ez Hassan
dear fellow flyers,
Is there any way of learning to fly military planes using a civilian school?
Thank you...
Ez
By Rob Pritchard
Ez,

Best route would be to attend a university with an attached air squadron. Here the RAF will train you to PPL standard.

From there you could possibly buy yourself training on one of the many civilian Jet Provosts that are around (The Jet provost used to be an RAF trainer and was replaced in service by the Tucano.)

To then move on to serious fast jet training your only civilian option would be to negotiate with the Russian Air Force who sell rides in their front line fighters. I'm sure if you had enough money they'd be happy to train you.

I think your total committment would be in the region of GBP 750,000 (Three quarters of a million pounds)

If you think this is possible, is there any chance I could touch you for a loan to buy a new prop for the Piper? :-)

Hope this helps Ez

Rob P
By Steve Morley
First you want to be a test pilot, then a PPL rated for military planes. Hmm.....
Next we'll get a post about becoming a bus driver.
Or one who applies tension to clock springs?
By poetpilot
Dear Ez Hassan, I note from an earlier post that you attend Trinity School in Ilford. Would that be the Catholic School ?
By Ez Hassan
Peotpilot,
No, its trinity school in croydon.
By Pilot X
Only a Jock would say that John ! :-) I think Ez has got it right - at 14 the world should be there for the taking and guidance from friendly, understanding has beens like us is all you need to help shape the dream !

Don't be put off Ez !
By poetpilot
I agree Pilotx. It's a shame that we are in a time and place where an enquiry like this raises suspicions and worries.

Ez, we've had a problem with trolls on the site, therefore there's a certain wariness when we answer new enquiries. Plus of course with all the Iraq/Afghanistan stuff going down, I'm sure you'll appreciate caution.

Ez, I wish you luck, I suggest you combine research and reading with perhaps going to a flying club that's near you.... they're not military jets but you'll have to start somewhere... aviation is quite a small world, so I'd suggest, don't set your sights on an even smaller area within it to start.
By Pilot X
Ez - I would be pleased to take you flying if I am on leave from overseas duty and you ever visit Scotland with your parents at that time (and they agree of course). If you do ever risk the Scottish weather, Email me and I'll give you the coordinates !

I am sure many of those on the site would also be pleased to give you a flight experience cabby if they are in your area ? !