Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By diverdriver
I have sent you a personal message with the text of a generic agreement.
Names have been changed to protect the innocent!
By chrisN
Steve, Hi.

I have several, drafted for gliding, but most things would equally apply to a powered aircraft.
They were done for different purposes - one owner letting out non-equity shares, old owners starting a new syndicate, etc.

There might be one or two things not in other drafts, as these cover all sorts of eventualities that have occurred over the years.

If you want them, email me with a returnable email address so I can append Word docs, that you friend can pick out the bits that might help.

Regards -
Chris J Nicholas
By Colin G
Steve, drop me a PM with your eail address and I'll send you one across
By madmajor
chrisN wrote:Steve, Hi.

I have several, drafted for gliding, but most things would equally apply to a powered aircraft.
They were done for different purposes - one owner letting out non-equity shares, old owners starting a new syndicate, etc.

There might be one or two things not in other drafts, as these cover all sorts of eventualities that have occurred over the years.

If you want them, email me with a returnable email address so I can append Word docs, that you friend can pick out the bits that might help.

Regards -
Chris J Nicholas

Hallo there
Have just seen your old offer of a glider agreement to A N Other. Any chance please of a copy ?
to mikedowling@talktalk.net?.
By peter272
I haven't seen the agreement mentioned but from hard experience I'd make sure the exit bits are locked down.

Esp

A) in case of death or incapacity
B) in case of inability to continue to pay in
C) in case of unwillingness to continue to be a member

All these have caused issues in groups I've been in and you may have to deal with things where, for example, a member tries to walk away from a large bill or the estate of a member won't stump up
By PeteSpencer
:P
madmajor wrote:
chrisN wrote:Steve, Hi.

Regards -
Chris J Nicholas

Hallo there
Have just seen your old offer of a glider agreement to A N Other. Any chance please of a copy ?
to mikedowling@talktalk.net?.

@madmajor

This is an 8 year old thread resurrection

Sadly Chris J N died four or five years ago

Peter :(
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ROG
The only real problem we had was a member who bought a share and then we found that his mate was flying with him recording P1 in his log book. IE--2 shares for the price of one.---transpired that they"d done it before..
In our case the group administrator must authorise anyone who flys P1.--Thus any such action like that would be the responsibility of the authorised member. Instructors are automatically authorised
Another person who wanted to join wanted to use it for air racing--at least they were up front about it--not quite what we were looking for.
Last point--check logs, licences medicals--there are more Walter Mittys around than you think.
Pete 272 points are good-we recently added points ref illness and death.
By riverrock
Do most group insurance do named pilots or "any pilot over 100 hours plus these named ones"? Would sort most of that out...

We have a general agreement to operate the aircraft in a similar way as each other but it is a gentleman's agreement - not written down. Before anyone joins, a discussion will be had as to whether they would be suitable for our group. We also have a general veto available for anyone joining the group by other members. Some things are difficult to police. Its near impossible to stop someone selling their share to someone else who may be undesirable to the group.

The only issue I've had in the groups I'm is was one individual who is a TRE in an airline, and wanted the group to be run in the same way as the airline.
So if there was anything not perfect (in a 50 year old aircraft) then he wanted it immediately grounded. He accused those who were running the group of negligence and fraud (to the point that an auditor was appointed to do an assessment who found everything was in order - no case to answer - the treasurer is a chartered accountant) and caused a large lever arch file worth of paperwork in all the email correspondence he generated. The group chair (a senior exec in his normal employment) felt he had to step down due to the workload this one individual generated. We found out later that he has a reputation in that airline.

We don't have anything written down as a signed agreement for each member, but we do have a small number of items agreed between members and written in minutes of AGMs which show agreement on certain things - such as what happens on death of a member, just to cover the group from legal issues.
By ROG
Riverrock---we had a problem with someone who was wrecking the plane---it transpired that he was damaging the aircraft and not advising the other members.
It culminated with a prop strike that he denied --even tried to blame another member.(final bill around £15K )
We used our group rule --"majority vote by members". Had a meeting and voted to refund him his cost of share and cancelled his authorisation to fly.
In your case we would probably have used the line that he was obviously unhappy with the way the group was run and members felt that he would be happier in another group and therefore the members had decided-by a majority vote-- etc.
Incidentally checked out the majority vote rule with AOPA --its the same as any club ---if its in the rules.
Hangar16 liked this
By Miscellaneous
@riverrock what did you do about the equity, return his money?

Any idea where the law stands on removing an asset from an individual in such a manner? Not that such an individual is likely to want to stay in the group. Just curious if it could be legally contested?
By riverrock
We offered to return his money.
He then wanted a proportion of all the assets rather than the money he bought into the group with. We added everything up and that was about £10 less than the amount he bought in with, so gave him the higher value as we are nice. Haven't heard from him since.
By peter272
We offered to return his money.
He then wanted a proportion of all the assets rather than the money he bought into the group with.

Been there before.

One member fought hard for, what he saw as, his share of the engine fund. We took the view that he'd spent that money whenever he took the aircraft up and it wasn't up for grabs.

As said before,leaving groups can be as bad as an acrimonious divorce. Best to prepare for it well ahead