Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ThePipster
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The real problem is not Peel holdings but rather the environment created by local and central government that places no value on infrastructure and allows companies like Peel to take advantage.

Just look at Railways, Water, Electricity and Gas, BAA, NATS....................the list just goes on.

Pipster
By Jim Jones
ThePipster wrote:The real problem is not Peel holdings but rather the environment created by local and central government that places no value on infrastructure and allows companies like Peel to take advantage.

Just look at Railways, Water, Electricity and Gas, BAA, NATS....................the list just goes on.

Pipster

That'd be Thatcher then.................
By ThePipster
Jim Jones wrote:
ThePipster wrote:The real problem is not Peel holdings but rather the environment created by local and central government that places no value on infrastructure and allows companies like Peel to take advantage.

Pipster

That'd be Thatcher then.................

There have been several governments since, including the Prescott fiasco where airfields where designated as brown field sites, even those all grass ones in green belt areas.

They are all as bad as each other, the problem is that all policies have to generate a benefit in time for the next election......

Pipster
peter272 liked this
By Jim Jones
And if any government had re-nationalised power, the grid, rail, telecoms (4and the banks) we would all be happy, yes?
There is a petition on the go asking the government to intervene in the DTV saga, probably do no good but may draw attention to whats going on with many airfields at the moment.
Thanks for the dutch airports, Rotterdam is a possibility but is still over an hour on the train from our base in Vlissingen in the deep south. Zeeland airfield is just up the road and looks nice but only has a (soft) grass runway

Pipster

Thread resurrection :oops: but familiar theme:

Peel Holdings appearing not to fulfil its commitment to local community, but now in a non-aviation context

://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/disappointment-peel-reveal-no-timetable-1194904
Lowtimer wrote:Ah, the security people. I should have mentioned that to counterbalance my earlier comments about the convenience of the place. I've only used Teeside as SLF, but despite the convenience of the parking and low throughput, I must admit they consistently have the most aggressive and arsey security people I've ever dealt with at an airport. I'm sure they are not all like that... maybe I have just been unlucky with the individuals. But Leeds Bradford, London City, Edinburgh, Schipol, East Mids, Jersey and Stansted are all much more pleasant from that point of view.

Of course, I haven't been to Norwich for more than a decade, so I haven't had the pleasure of evaluating their post-911 attitude to the paying customer.

You should try Luton
"And if any government had re-nationalised power, the grid, rail, telecoms (4and the banks) we would all be happy, yes?"

Some of us would be absolutely delighted.

Although of course as is often pointed out, many of our "private" utilities and services are government owned, by other governments (Deutsche Bahn, etc.).
kanga, UpThere liked this
By cockney steve
Re- Peel Holdings and Barton. I hung around Barton, a bit last year.

Despite some drainage works and re-seeding , the cross- runways are usually boggy and closed. 02 /20 was open 1 day in the whole year, 14/32 never, main taxiway has an almost permanent bog in the middle. The tarmac apron and taxiway by the tower, round to 26 runup-area, is very poor, with loads of uneven patching. ( Public car-park is in better nick!) The 2 , 08/26 runways are much improved from the LAC days, considerably smoother and plastic- mesh reinforcing at the 26 thresholds (not seen the 08 ends) Again, swampy in the middle at the first sniff of rain.
The (WW2?) nissen-style hangars are leaky and in desperate need of re-sheeting. The big (listed-building?) brick built hangar, was re-roofed some time ago..... unfortunately, no insulation, so , a series of wet lines along the floor, front to back. The unfortunate Flex-wing tenants are crammed, pod-to pod in a heap in the back corner. Not only do they get the "rain" from the roof, but also showered with bird-crap from the roost, 30 odd feet above. They have, apparently been complaining and a polythene "canopy" has been promised "for ages"...meanwhile, they pay £120 a month, each...they aren't happy! Their wings are rotting.
An old "nissen" hangar has been demolisher, progress on a replacement
is best described as "Glacial" 2 of us, with a tele-handler, erected , roofed and clad an 80 x 40 portal-frame barn in less than a month.
A levelled, hardcore base has sat for about 6 months, with a token, rusting excavator in the middle
The old LAC Clubhouse is now the cafe....they have spent , apparently, in excess of £10K on a rustic kid's activity area, ...swings/slides/climbing etc....jam packed on sunny days.
Public has access to ground and first floors of Tower...they're spic 'n ' span. I can see they have a good earner in monthly car boot sales and the cafe. The core-activity (Aviation) seems to have a back seat.
The entrance-site has the remains of buildings, It's supposed to be a project for war-veterans to build into a clubhouse and motor repair workshop. No apparent progress, other than decay!

Peel playing a long-game?
joe-fbs wrote:"And if any government had re-nationalised power, the grid, rail, telecoms (4and the banks) we would all be happy, yes?"

Some of us would be absolutely delighted.

I had not meant to reopen a wider old debate, :oops: .. but since I seem to have:

As a non-partisan politics geek, I'd be interested to know whether attitudes among Forumites, and indeed the wider UK populace, have changed towards the (de)merits of private provision of public services and infrastructure, in the light of events since the thread was last active. Of course, such events (Carillion, ECML, Grenfell, etc) may or may not be directly or remotely apposite to the topic, but may still affect those attitudes.
What has become clearer is that ‘businesses ’ just acquire money, They don’t invest in jobs, staff skill development, prudent business expansion and diversification, nor do they seek to serve their community, town, region or country by paying tax.

The money ends up in the hands of a shrinking percentage, who are protected from failure by the law; the same law together with rules and regulations they do nothing to uphold if they can get away with it.

The pendulum is due to swing surely?
Flyin'Dutch', cockney steve, PaulB and 1 others liked this
I am no economist, but I wonder whether this thesis by the Shadow Chancellor would now have (or, indeed, deserve) more credibility than a few years ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43014861
By Big Dex
@cockney steve , you’re mistaken pal.

I’m based at Barton, in the hangar that you mention. Significant investment and improvements have been made in recent years. My hangar bill reflects supply and demand, and I don’t begrudge it. The staff are universally excellent; helpful and friendly.
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^^ Concur, re- the staff......watching the CCTV on the net, saw Sig. square was at odds with the ATIS....Phoned and a couple of minutes later, saw someone correct it...... wet lines on floor of brick hangar were pointed out to me by a disgruntled "Quick" shareholder. chatted to a Permit aircraft owner in the "Nissen" alongside the tower- carpark footpath . If you are lucky, you get a good spot. I wasn't saying they leaked like sieves, just that there are some unhappy tenants. you are lucky!Also, in fairness, I also pointed -out that the 2 main runways have been levelled and reinforced, and drainage / reseeding to the x-rways. .

I, too remember when both those hangars were rammed chock-full . where have they all gone?
Where, exactly, am I wrong in my summation? what have I missed?