Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By silent flight
Hello

I am new to the forum, mainly a glider pilot just finished my powered ppl, well nearly a year ago. I am sick and tired of hiring and would like to buy a C of A aircraft, ideally a four seat but I think my budget will only allow 2 seaters. I dont really want to get into a group but might consider it if the right aircraft came up. I dont relally have the experience to buy privately but worry about the brokers being rather expensive, so i would appreciate if anyone could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks
By ROG
Always get an engineers report---guy bought a pplane on our field recently--looked wonderfull-underneath paint was masses of corrosion. Beleive now going to caa--as it should not have had its recent c of a.

be very carefull
By BlueRobin
That price range would put you in league with a few PFA types. Ideal price range too for a 150, Tripacer or Colt.
By silent flight
I have been advised by my flying instructor that I should steer clear of PFA because some are of poor build quality. Can anyone comment? I havent heard of Tripacers or Colts are they PFA?
By Pianorak
You might be able to pick up a PA38 Tomahawk.
By BlueRobin
PFA route offers big savings but you must have a keen eye (or someone with one). Some kits are very well built, others aren't. You can't tar the PFA system with the same brush therefore.

Tripacer and Colt are high, short and rag-wing Pipers therefore CofA types. Here you should have good parts support through Univair and the fact that lots of people still fly 'em, notably in the US.

http://www.vintagepiper.com/aircraft.html

The flipside though is the need for a hangar.
By Gerard Clarke
The PFA looks after all sorts of factory built aircraft as well as homebuilds. Some homebuilds are better built than factory types. For that sort of budget, a Permit type is probably the best bet. The economics of outright ownership are not always favourable. A small well run group might represent a better place to invest 18K,. and you'd get a lot more aeroplane for the money.
By gaxor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IMHO I would strongly recommend buying into a group. With your budget you will not get much of a choice, and you can easily use up half as much again per year on maintenance!!

Your annual inspection will be at least
By peter272
Silent flight

Given that few instructors ever fly anything other than school types - PA28 or C152's I would advise you to ignore his comments on PFA aircraft. There are just as many cr*p spamcams as poor quality permit types. And by ignoring tailwheel types you are excluding a whole load of excellent types.

For a new bod unless you have shedloads of cash and time, you'd be much better off initially in a small group of some sort to get used to non-club flying, before you go into sole ownership.

That way you'll have time to find the right plane for you at much less cost. In addition, you'll have help and support for those items you can't do yourself.

If you buy the wrong plane on your own, you are stuffed - money tied up and unable to fly and probably unable to sell.

We all have dreams of sole ownership, but do it carefully.
By flyguy
Would echo the encouragement to join a group, at least initially. Far better value for money, far less hassle. Running your own aeroplane is a whole heap of work - don't underestimate it.
By timr
Silent Flight,

To get an idea what price to pay - whats available. Have a look at some of the flying mags (Flyer, GA Pilot & Todays Pilot are a good start). They also have shares for sale.
Where are you based, check-out aircraft for sale or share's at your club. You stand a better chance of finding out the true history if the aircarft has been around for a while.
To buy/rent or share depends on the number of hours you are going to fly. I own a 150 - have for a while - if you are in the Popham area you are welcome to have a chat about ownership or costs involved.
Would say:
A cheap aircraft may cost a lot to keep it flying - sometimes better to spend more, get something in better condition.
It maybe wise to join a group as there is plenty to learn about ownership. I had a half share with a friend before buying 100%.
Hang around your club and other owners, you will pick up info about ownership - some not always very accurate but most is of use!
Tim.
By Maverick
All excellet advice above.

If you really want to own on your own, however, then no need to be put off, just make sure you have your eyes open :shock: . A certified spam-can, even a 2 seater, will cost about
By garethep
Whilst I am coming at this from a vastly less experienced viewpoint than those who have previously replied. I hope to be in a similar situation to yourself in about a years time. I personally believe that restricting your choice to nose wheel aircraft because you have only ever flown them is about as reasoned as not learning to fly in the first place because you dont know how to do it. Whatecer you but would you be happy to just jump in and fly? or would you want someone experienced with you for the first few flights? If the latter then you may find it cheaper to buy a tailwheel aircraft and pay an instructor to give difference training on your aircraft. I am lucky that I am learning to fly at a club where PPL training takes second place to operating a pair of vintage taildraggers for air experience flying and conversions. Although I wasnt allowed to do my PPL on the Chipmunk :cry: I have been introduced to a number of different aircraft types and any reccomendations are to do with how nice an aircraft is to fly not AHH tailwheel or AHH PFA .

Buy what you like and I really hope you enjoy it but consider something new and you may avoid getting stuck in a rut.