Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Timothy
TheDealer wrote:... of course, any product is only "worth" what someone will pay.... Markets generally find their own level...

But it isn't that simple...people think of resale value rather than value to them. The resale on Aztecs is low, so people will discount what they are prepared to pay.

This does not take into account that you can expect to fork out a goodly proportion of the purchase price per annum in upkeep.

I have totally discounted what I paid for LIZZie. I just love her for what she is, which is much nicer than a Seneca and much more forgiving than a Baron or 310.
By robbo
Davidt.........look at my pic....Guess what I flew :lol:
By TheDealer
Timothy wrote:
TheDealer wrote:... of course, any product is only "worth" what someone will pay.... Markets generally find their own level...

But it isn't that simple...people think of resale value rather than value to them. The resale on Aztecs is low, so people will discount what they are prepared to pay.

This does not take into account that you can expect to fork out a goodly proportion of the purchase price per annum in upkeep.

I have totally discounted what I paid for LIZZie. I just love her for what she is, which is much nicer than a Seneca and much more forgiving than a Baron or 310.

Well...........no. I stand behind my original comment, it is only worth what it is worth. You are confusing "value" with "worth". An Aztec could be considered better value than a Baron or 310, but is worth rather less. Ultimately the resale of both the Beech & Cessna are far ahead of the Aztruck. You will only
timbo wrote:fork out a goodly proportion of the purchase price per annum in upkeep

'cos it's cheap to start with. The maintenance cost is actually higher and represents a much larger portion of the purchase price. Bit like buying an old Jag rather than the equivalent Merc or Ferrari, buy in cost is lower because it is far more expensive to run and perceived as less desirable and thus cheaper.

I am sure that you think LIZZ is the bizz (subjective), but it's worth is rather behind the actual monetary cost of a similarly aged Baron (fact) by a large margin. This is due to it being a significantly slower, noisier and ergonomically inferior design that was approaching the end of it's life in 1974, as opposed to a Baron that is still a current production model and Beech being perceived as a better built product than Piper. In Comparison with a Seneca the market is rather unfairly distorted in Europe due to the two tonne thing, but a Seneca is far more economical to run (and people can get in the back without dislocating their limbs). Don't sell many Aztecs for air taxi or training work anymore.