Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By bookworm
I started something on this theme on PPrune, but apart from Chilli I got no response. So I'll try here.

We also stated that when following a published instrument approach procedure, the pilot is flying under instrument flight rules (IFR).

Several readers have pointed out that it is possible to obtain permission from air traffic control units to make instrument approaches without complying fully with the instrument flight rules. They mistakenly believe they are flying under visual flight rules (VFR), because invariably they are required to maintain at least the appropriate visual meteorological conditions (VMC
By Guest
The usual GASIL problem isn't it....
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
So what exactly are they trying to say?

Ian
By Adam
Who The Hell is Pearl
By Keef
Who The Hell is Pearl

The 'bus driver, I think.

Interesting question, though. If I'm flying an ILS into Sahfen' with approval from Kev the Approach, in glorious CAVOK sunshine and with the hood on, being told jokes by Cap'n Dave in the RHS (my official lookout), am I IFR or VFR? To be honest, I've never worried about it. I log it as "simulated instrument flight" anyway.

Does it matter? Does anyone care? Should anyone care? Is there a duty of care somewhere?

Perhaps Pearl cares.