Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rudds
Can anyone point me in the direction of a AME in the Essex area who can undertake CAA and FAA medicals?
I have tried a search here and at the moment the FAA website was not working

Many thanks

Rudds
By Guest
Obviously... the best FAA AME in the UK is none other than our own Flying Dutch. If travelling to Daventry for his services is impossible, he will certainly be able to advise you on somebody closer to you. I know of a couple in Hertfordshire if you are on that side of Essex.
By Rudds
Thanks for your reply Nigel. Hertfordshire would be easier to get to rather than Daventry. No offence to Flying Dutch.

Rudds
By Guest
In that case, I would suggest Dr Franklyn Trevarthen in Digswell (near Welwyn Garden City)

10 HERTFORD RD
DIGSWELL
AL6 0EB

Tel: 01438 714056

Nigel
By Keef
Or, if you're near Sahfen' on Mud, Doc Fearnley - PM me for details if required. He has the advantage of being an FAA and a CAA AME, so you can get two for the price of one and a bit.
By ASA
Dr Brian Wallace, Melbourn near Royston, Herts

He's also CAA AME, so contact details are listed on CAA website.

Dr David Cranston - he's somewhere in that area, but I can't remember where -he should also be on the CAA list.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You can search by postcode or country for UK AMEs and the ones who do FAA, NZ, etc normally advertsie their wares there too. Can't remember the CAA direct address but you can get there in two clicks via
http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm#1
By Keef
My AME does both. Works out cheaper. If I don't meet the health requirements for a medical, it's both "out of the window" anyway, innit?

"... did wilfully fly an aeroplane of [whichever] registration, full knowing that he was unfit to do so by reason of medical condition... he held a current medical certificate which was rendered invalid by the findings of ..."
By Rudds
Many thanks to you all yet again for your helpful advice.

Rudds
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There seem to be some people in GA land that think that if you lose your CAA ticket you can just get an FAA medical and away are all your worries.

Just to put them right I would like to say the following:

1. In broad terms the same standards apply.

2. Whilst there are some conditions which would meet with a denial for a JAR medical and may well be able to be certified there are quite a few hoops to jump through and being looked at under a magnifying glass before they would get the OK, certainly not a rubber stamp job.

3. If you have had a medical problem as under 2 then you would have to disclose that and need the appropriate investigations i.e. you are found to have something on the JAR class 2 medical then you can not just apply for an FAA class 3 just because they don't need an ECG (normally)

FD