Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kilburnflyer
johnm wrote:
It's a shame because now it's gone global, and based on what happened to the laptop pilots, they will have to revoke his position otherwise it wont seem even handed.

The issues are in no way comparable.

I meant to the global media audience - "Pilots on laptops, children in the tower" etc. it's all the same.
By kanga
I recall an AEF pilot (from the side-by-side, Bulldog & Tutor, not Chippie, era) who liked to give the Cadets verbatim instructions for transmissions, and let them do it; local RAF controllers were used to it. On 1st sortie this would typically be only the '[callsign] ready for departure' call; for the more experienced cadets it could be more complex, eg the rejoin call and readback.

He claimed that he wanted the Cadet to become confident about the PTT and controller voice so that, if he collapsed, the Cadet would be calm enough to accept directions (eg QDMs), or communication with a chase aircraft pilot. He never had to put it to the test for real, but I reckon it could have made an interesting exercise. Could lead to saving of 2 lives and a slightly damaged airframe; better than Cadet abandoning aircraft ..
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I meant to the global media audience - "Pilots on laptops, children in the tower" etc. it's all the same.

If we're going to let "global media audience" run ATC then there's probably an opportunity for O'Leary to make pilots an optional extra as well :twisted:
"The pilots on the tape appear to be not concerned that a child is giving them instructions. "

However, reporters (who know far more than the pilots about piloting aircraft, and aviation) were very alarmed and so had to make a big fuss. Thank god we have these heroes in the press..
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
All over the news now. Must be nowt else happening in the world.

[grumpy]Why can't we get rid of all those news "programmes" and get back to a few 10 minute bulletins each day? That's quite enough time to tell us anything important. It would help the BBC's cost base no end.[/grumpy]
By gfry
wessex boy wrote:My Dad flew a Viking from Southend to Jersey most Sundays when he was 12, swapping with the FO just after take-off and just before landing, he moved onto the Ostend route in a Viscount when he hit his teens...

Dont vikings use long boats anymore? :lol:
By wessex boy
Longboats might have been quicker....

The accuracy at which my kids can mimic my radio calls when they are playing is quite astounding, sometimes including the less professional terminology :oops:

Also astounding was when my (then 5 year-old) son explained to WG the procedure for changing frequency when leaving an airfield after the first time i took him on a land-away
By timr
I don't see what the problem is. My 12 year old nephew gets a far better score than me on FlightControl :D