Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Guest
As many will be aware, the French have just published their annual release of the half-million scale VFR maps.

There is a problem through.

The South-East Map is the one affected, which covers roughly the area from South of Dijon to Corsica, and West from Genoa as far as Toulouse.

The key error is that the Lyon TMA is not correctly represented. This is asubstantial chunk of controlled airspace, and any "sad" forumites heading down there VFR might find themselves unwittingly infringing it if they go by the existing charts. The French DGAC website has the full and correct details.

I haven't checked to see if the 1,000,000 scale maps suffer from the same problem, but it would be a good idea to check if you are heading down to those parts this summer.
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 04, 2004 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Doesn't apply to me.

I infringe their bloody airspace even if the map is correct :(

Rob P

Whilst I'm on, where would be the best place to buy the chart covering Normandy to LFAT?
By Steve Morley
So if I bought that chart and infringed the airspace would I still be treated as if it were on the chart?

I know its on the site and its our responsibility etc etc but is it reasonable that we should check the site for airspace changes before flying?

What I am trying to say is would it not be more reasonable to NOTAM it as its such a huge error?
By Guest
is it reasonable that we should check the site for airspace changes before flying?

Yes. You are required to check NOTAMs. The Lyon TMA changes were/are all NOTAMed and there is a current AIC on the subject.
By Guest
Forgive me ladies. I forgot that France is not inside the ATZ of any UK Airfield ;)
By BlueRobin
I think some here are in need of a "referral" period :wink: :D
By Steve Morley
With my whole post in mind, in the interests of flight safety, is it publicised enough?

Well, it is now, I suppose..
By Guest
The French can do little more than issue NOTAMs and publish an AIC. Pilot responsibiity has to kick in at some point.
By Steve Morley
s'pose so. Can't really think what else they can do apart from tell 2ds :D

But I wonder how many of us on this forum who are being a bit quiet about this subject would have flown there without finding out had you not started this thread?

You are your own AIC! :D
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
So is the airspace properly represented in the Jepp data used in GPS sets?

Ian
By Guest
It is - but only if you pay for the updates.
By Adrian
For info, the SE France map has been withdrawn from sale. A corrected version is due to be published in the next 2 weeks.

If you've bought an incorrect one, you can have it exchanged for the corrected version by sending it to this address:

I.G.N. (Institut G