Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I've just received IAOPA e-Newsletter stating that the European Commission plans to slap a 20-30 Euro approach charge (for ATC services) on every light aircraft arriving, whether VFR or IFR, private or commercial, at 215 airports across Europe, from 1st January.

Those of you who fly at BAA airports will already be paying a navigation charge (we currently pay about 5 euros plus VAT) per landing. No doubt this new charge will be additional to that. It will kill our operation.

As usual there is nothing on the AOPA or IAOPA web sites about this - which airports, how much, what consultation there is/was etc.

Does anyone know anything more and can someone please come up with something other than bad news for GA?

NS
By Paul_Sengupta
Had to pay last year going to Templehof. Eurocontrol sent the bill a couple of weeks after the event.
By Iceman
I never did get billed for that.

Iceman 8)
By kanga
NorthSouth wrote:I've just received IAOPA e-Newsletter ..

me, too; and gists of several other issues in there of interest (slight or considerable) to me.

A timely reminder why, in this age when government at all levels can be (mis)informed and influenced (for good or ill) by timely organised 'lobbying', all those who have an interest in the outcomes of government decisions should support those who do such lobbying for us. Once decisions (however ill-informed or illogical) are made they may be very difficult to change.

I hope all Forumites are members of at least one of the GA organisations - AOPA (the one most visible to governments at national and European levels; I'm not debating whether that is fair, only stating fact), LAA, BGA, BMAA etc. They all need members' subs to do research, to keep ears to ground in appropriate corridors of power (sorry about mixed metaphor!), and to prepare and deliver the right messages to the right ears/desks. It is an expensive business, getting more so because of the need for European travel.

Kanga (AOPA & LAA)
By skydriller
NorthSouth wrote:I've just received IAOPA e-Newsletter stating that the European Commission plans to slap a 20-30 Euro approach charge (for ATC services) on every light aircraft arriving, whether VFR or IFR, private or commercial, at 215 airports across Europe, from 1st January..
NS

Which airports? 215 in Europe is quite a few...

Anyone have anything concrete about this in the form of a link?
By Iceman
The text of the IAOPA newsletter (for those non-members) is here.

Iceman 8)
Personally, if I receive a bill in the post after the event I will not pay it...

There is an air of the French needed here. When they disagree they become stubborn and obtuse until the government has to cave in. A local farmer (in France of course) got fed up with the local supermarket and the price of milk he received. So he got on his tractor, drove down to the supermarket, drove through the window, went up and down the aisles and then went home for cheese and wine...

I am not suggesting such militant action, however refusal to pay (like they are currently doing in France with regards to speed cameras) stops the mechanisms of state - they can not put us all in jail. It takes unity and should be the last resort after the LAA AOPA etc. have lobbied, but we should always be prepared for war and seeking peace.
By Vino Collapso
As a person authorised by the CAA to detain aircraft on their behalf I would not recomend the non-payment route. :roll:
By dweston
Given that the charge may come in within 4 weeks and we don't know the airfields they are referring to, I have to ask if this is a done deal. And, if so, where did it come from and who was consulted on this?

Or is it a sign of things to come now we are fully in the EU?
By flybymike
dweston wrote:Given that the charge may come in within 4 weeks and we don't know the airfields they are referring to, I have to ask if this is a done deal. And, if so, where did it come from and who was consulted on this?

Like all things European, doubtless decided by a non representative committee with no interest in GA, operating behind closed doors.
By Chilli Monster
Not only that - but without the knowledge of some of the airports which, if the example is to be believed as being representative, are supposedly involved!
By flybymike
Chilli is already denying he was a member of the secret committee. :wink:
By Chilli Monster
Well, other people take their cars to work for free - why should I be penalised if I need to get to work by air :)