Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mike Cross
The following are extracts from responses to questions raised by Anne McIntosh, MP for the Vale of York relating to http://www.ais.org, the NOTAM website.

Anne has done a lot on our behalf, if anyone knows any other MP's who have been active in this area please let me know.

"I am assured by the CAA that the new procedures do not constitute a significant risk to flight safety"
David Jamieson, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport

"Since 1 October the system has been down on 10 occaisons, ranging from 5 minutes to the longest one recorded of 14 hr 20 min on the 11 October"
Chris Gibson-Smith, Chairman of NATS writing on 22 November 2002.

"The setting of service standards for civil air traffic services in the UK is a matter for NATS in consultation with the Civil Aviation Authority....... NATS do not have a precise record of the numbers of suspensions to this service."
David Jamieson, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport replying to a Parliamentary Question on 25 November 2002

"The system is provided with back-up facilities and, while
By john
MR David Jamieson would appear to be a plonker of the first water !!
By John M
We are content that the system provides all the information necessary for safe flight......"
Sir Roy McNulty, Chairman of the CAA

I presume that the words "if only you can find it in the middle of all the irrelevant dross" were overwritten by the little dots???
By Jane
Does Sir Roy actually use the system especially in the way of a small light aircraft pilot wanting to do a short local flight?
By bob
I'm sure everything is just fine. After all our leaders appear to be telling us this is so. Of course if it is not so and one of us becomes a statistic they have the bolt hole of "pilot error", very handy for them if the pilot is deceased and unable to reply to the charge. Look how fair they were to a Chinnook crew a while back.