Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I have recently been in touch with the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre, Epsom.
http://www.pmrafns.org/HC.HTM
They cater for some of the serious physical and mental problems endured by service personnel. They get lots of offers of help from all sorts of organisations but have not been offered flights from the GA community.
When I suggested that I might be able to arrange something they expressed a great deal of interest. I am proposing to try and arrange a flight, perhaps along the South Coast, for up to 10 people who will be patients and carers. I’m looking for an airfield near Epsom so it looks like Biggin Hill or Blackbushe (hard runway and good café would help).
A Sunday would be the preferred day for the Centre, perhaps 15.11.09 or 22.11.09
I fly a C182 so that’s two taken care of. If you would like to help or offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

DATE AND VENUE NOW CONFIRMED 22ND. NOVEMBER 2009 BLACKBUSHE AIRFIELD (EGLK)

AIRCRAFT OFFERS....POSSIBLES
leftys mate 4px
paul sengupta 1px
Bloomer 1px

DEFFOS
whiskey kilo wanderer 1px Confirmed
champchump 1px Confirmed
scroft 2px Confirmed
hogster 2px Confirmed
steve neale 1px Confirmed
jollyrog 2px Confirmed
ben 2px Confirmed
BDFA Static demo Confirmed
waveflyer 2px Confirmed
CaptChaos 1px Confirmed
Ridders 1px Confirmed
Grumpy One 1px Confirmed
Lefty 4px Confirmed
cirrus147flyer 2px Confirmed
Awful Charlie 1px Confirmed
Bepy Pilot 2px Confirmed
The Dealer Caravan Confirmed
QSD 1px Confirmed
G-BLEW 3px Confirmed
Talkdownman 3px Confirmed
Bob pipedream 1px Confirmed

Just look at the support.........remarkable, thank you.

...............please keep the offers coming :D

UPDATE.......PLAN FOR THE DAY - Sunday 22nd November 2009 Blackbushe

Steve Neale and I are hoping to fly in at about 0900 and will be leaving no later than 1500.
We are hoping that all other aircraft will arrive by 1030 (time not critical but please book in with Steve when you arrive) and that our guests from DMRC will be with us at about 1000.
After introductions we can start flying at about 1100 and the duration of the trip can be decided between the individual pilots and passenger but about 1 hour max. As a suggestion a trip to the South coast might prove interesting but once again, so long as the passenger is in full agreement, make your own decision.
I will ask the Airfield Cafe to expect us for lunch from about 1200 onwards.
Weatherman will keep us posted so please keep an eye on the thread.
If you have volunteered to help would you please confirm a/c reg and type with crew names and mobile number, either on the thread or PM.
As a side attraction some BIG toys will be on site to play with during the day nothing to do with aviation but good fun
Let's hope the day brings good weather :sunny: and lots of smiles :) :) and laughs :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Waveflyer on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:23 am, edited 24 times in total.
By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That sounds an excellent idea.
As you know R. - I've only got a two seater so put me down for One passenger.

Unless Biggin can do us a deal then Blackbushe would suit me better pocketwise, and, perhaps being less formal (I guess), might make airside activities easier.
I'm told there's a half decent nosh shop on the Bush premises too!

Only hitch might be if she's not out of her annual (due 24th Nov.) but I hope to work round that if a firm date can be decided upon.
By GrahamB
Isn't Fairoaks closer than Blackbushe?
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Grumpy One
Yeah! But! Has Fairoaks got a 'Morley'? ....Hah! Go on. Answer that, I dare you.
And anyway, Fairoaks got a shorter runway than Morley International and it doesn't do Polish Breakfasts either (and it'll be cheaper!) :D
By JohnL
Waveflyer wrote: I
A Sunday would be the preferred day for the Centre, perhaps 15.11, 22.11 or 1.12.09.

1/12/09 is a Tuesday :shock:

If my share has not sold I could do the 6th or 13th Dec if from the Bush, 1 PAX. The social sec has already filled in all Sundays in November.
By Waveflyer
Sorry about dates, let's try and home in on 15 or 22.11.09. :oops:
By ChampChump
If it's the 22nd, I could add one more seat with the Jodel. Strictly VFR, me, I'm afraid, but would like to get involved.
By Lefty
Count me in - the Cherokee Six is ideal for passengers with disabilities. I can take 4-5.

The aircraft is due for a 6 month service around those dates - but I will make if I possibly can.
By jollyrog
I wrote to Biggin regarding the landing fee for Project Propeller and didn't receive a reply.

Even a reply to say "no" would have been polite.
By SteveN
Happy to fly 1 if it's VFR. If not I can help on the ground if required.

Steve
By vintage ATCO
Waveflyer wrote:but have not been offered flights from the GA community.

We have flown them for the last two years at the de Havilland Moth Club Charity Weekend at RAF Halton, because some brilliant person has designed and built a device to get disabled folk in and out of a Tiger Moth. It is hugely appreciated and valued so crack on! :thumleft:
By Waveflyer
Thank you all for the response and your generosity. :clap: I am trying to firm up for Sunday, 22nd November, 2009 and will confirm as soon as that's decided and if we are using Fairoaks and Blackbushe.
In the meantime, I think we could do with a few more volunteers.If you've got the time and the aircraft to spare please put your name in. :pray:
Any advice, especially if you have been involved with this sort of thing in the past would help. To answer your question Leia, we are hoping this will be the first of a regular series of events.
By scroft
As a War veteran myself, you can count me in. Piper Cherokee 140 happy to take 2 people VFR.