Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Guest
Not only does he fly but dons relevant apparel and scuttles down the aisle serving the drinks, on his hands and knees of course.

She promised she wouldn't tell, the minx :D
By AlanB
Cheapest way would be to join somewhere like Bournemouth Flying club and then rent a Warrior / 172 from them. Their price of about
By Guest
If flying an IFR approach in VMC (under VFR), you have a duty to maintain a good lookout and to see and avoid. You'll need a lookout with you to meet that requirement comewhat may.
By Steve Morley
I have heard a rumour that a certain RAF airfield leaves its ILS on over the w/e.

Not that I have tried it of course, or would condone such a thing!
By Guest
Particularly since it would be an offence to infringe the ATZ, and there is little point in doing an ILS if you can't fly the critical last stage of it. Before the last 3 miles they are easy.
By flyguy
3 Oldies + Johnny wrote:Sir 2D ... on his hands and knees of course.

Don't.
Go.
There.

:shock:
By Timothy
Alan O wrote:I would like to recommend two unofficial Flyer forum mentoring schools....

Timothy's Skool of Colloquial Pilot Mentoring (aka Lizz-Air)
Very good practical experience based on yonks of experience etc etc etc

1 Donkey < but < 3 Donkeys Ecole Of Instrument Flying in IMC
Cool calm collected and very easy going etc etc etc

So who the bleeding F*** are you saying isn't cool, calm and collected you little creep...oooh I won't half knock your pathetic little block off next time I see you :rambo: Not cool, calm and collected eh?! Not all "easy going" and high and mighty eh!?! We'll see who can be cool, calm and collected if they bloody want to beOK?! Or What?!?!

Oh and before Alan gets all nervous...what Harry said about irony, OK?
By hmshood
Lots of healthy discussion on the subject here. I am actually hoping to do my flight test today, althought the weather may be too poor for IMC!

I note the discussions on using Calais for inexpensive approaches. One issue here is a statement in the latest GASIL from the French Authorities.

1. A UK IMC rating is not valid in French airspace, nor are the instrument privilages of a UK CPL;

2. Only the holder of a valid instrument rating may fly IFR in France;

3. When following published instrument approach procedures the pilot is flying IFR.

My instructor and I understand this to mean that unless one flies with an IR safety pilot an IMC qualification will NOT allow actual or practice instrument approaches in France.

This is a real pain. That leaves the Channel Islands and VFR above the cloud over France.

GASIL Page 17, 1 of 2004 Issued March
By Alan O
Mr T

:o :shock: :( :? :oops: :cry: :x :evil: :twisted: :) :D

You know what a shy and retiring person I am..... :batman: :roll:

Trois Oldies

Yes I wondered about the IMC France thing, was not convinced, am not convinced, never will be convinved that the answer is anything but a big fat No! Although many have tried to justify it through symantic analysis and trickery
By TrevP
yesterday's test cancelled due to bad weather :?
passed today :D
By Cardinal Sin
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I share Rob's surprise that a school would let anyone do an IMC rating (which after all is only going to be used in the UK) without going near a cloud. The mental discipline needed when you first go into a cloud will be so much more if you have only ever done it under the hood on a nice day.

Nothing quite prepares you for flying IMC in bumpy convective cloud (below the freezing level of course.)

Kirstey, IMHO, the things which will stop you flying most will not be low cloudbase, unless EGKA is very prone to these things owing the close terrain and chimney; rather it will be out of limits winds and low freezing level which will inhibit your IMCing.

And enjoy it and intend to use it. My post-IMC learning comprised

Getting practice with friends, not just the approaches, but navigation, especially where you are going somewhere there isn't a convenient VOR or ADF en-route
    Getting fluent with en-route radio stuff
    Rigorous fuel planning and plogging, especially if destination was close to mimima
    Rigorous understanding of safety altitudes en-route. eg What will happen if the freezing level is lower than forecast, and terrain in 1,300 feet below?
    Learning when to say "I'll go by car / train"

Enjoy!

Adrian
By Keef
Hey Trev - do I read that right? You passed today (or yesterday)?

if so, Congratulations!
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[quote="Chilli Monster"] you can find an airfield that will allow you to operate out of when they're closed (some places allow owners to do this) and depart with no runway lights, coming back just after sunrise.

What a a great idea to take off at some unearthly hour in the morning before sparrows fart and have a glorious hour of night flying to return before the lights are needed to land.

Is this really a legal way of keeping the night rating current through the summer ?
By TrevP
[quote="Keef"]Hey Trev - do I read that right? You passed today (or yesterday)?quote]

Yep Sat test cancelled took it Sun

CHEERS :D