Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By John
I was given the "take of at your discretion" at lydd last week, lined up, took off only for the afiso to start telling me just as my wheels had left the ground, that he hadnt given me permission!!! Both my passengers clearly heard him say "take of at your discretion", and my response of "roger" On return to the flying club the propietors and other pilots heard him give me permission and also my response.

Most of the time he is giving pilots a hard time over their RT incompetence etc. Perhaps its time the worm turned!!
By Julian Scarfe
If that's the case John then you should report the incident to CAA ATS standards. If the FISO genuinely "lost the plot", the incident is potentially as serious as a pilot taking off without a clearance at a controlled aerodrome.
By Pilot Pete
Have had trouble with radio when talking to southend.
I had been browsing locally with a new-to-flying friend, (usuall stuff... there's yer house, ....you can see lakeside from here...)

For around 15mins I heard the radio calls back and forth.
When it went quiet for a minute I called the atco and said that all this time I had been reading him about 3.

Ah he said.
I've switched transmitters hows that.

He was now as clear as radio 1 in the car on a good day while parked at the to of a hill.

I wonder if everyone else had thought it was bad, struggled a bit but didn't bother to say.

Pete.