Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Tart with the Cart
Shark attacks are down as sharks become scarce
The miniscule number of shark attacks occuring around the world has fallen for the fourth year running - perhaps because the chances of encountering a shark are becoming increasingly remote.
By AlanB
I've just got back from an offhore survival refresher course in Teesside, which included helicopter under water escape as well as sea survival. The main thing is to keep yourself warm and dry, without this, you won't last very long in the Channel at this time of year.

I don't believe it would be possible to launch a liferaft from a downed aircraft unless you act very quickly and know what you're doing. If you're faffing around in the luggage compartment trying to get the thing out, while the aircraft is sinking or being swamped by waves, then trying to get out and launch it while reading the instructions and trying to climb into it while staying dry....its not likely to happen, especially if the thing goes in upside down. The fuel tanks and fuel (is less dense than water) might buy you some time, but assuming worst case. So although I do have a liferaft onboard, I'd wear an imersion suite, or dry suit. I just bought a Typhoon Alpha breathable drysuit for
By Old Pilot
englishal wrote:I've just got back from an offhore survival refresher course in Teesside, which included helicopter under water escape as well as sea survival. The main thing is to keep yourself warm and dry, without this, you won't last very long in the Channel at this time of year.

I don't believe it would be possible to launch a liferaft from a downed aircraft unless you act very quickly and know what you're doing. If you're faffing around in the luggage compartment trying to get the thing out, while the aircraft is sinking or being swamped by waves, then trying to get out and launch it while reading the instructions and trying to climb into it while staying dry....its not likely to happen, especially if the thing goes in upside down. The fuel tanks and fuel (is less dense than water) might buy you some time, but assuming worst case. So although I do have a liferaft onboard, I'd wear an imersion suite, or dry suit. I just bought a Typhoon Alpha breathable drysuit for
By Steve Morley
JN. Case of the Fool in King Lear I fear! I have some experience!

If you are serious and would supply the water there would be lots of takers. It would take some organising and a few volunteers but The Forum and its ites would be better off for a few things like this.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
J-90,
I'm sure there would be lots of takers for a go in the dunking machine and practice climbing into liferafts. you can count me in - where is the dunker? :D

Tom
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Excellent advice...I'd like to read a report from Nick or Ian on how easy these courses are...or are we dead from when the engine quits?

Sounds like a job for Nick if you ask me :-)

Ian
By Steve Morley
:lol: :lol:
You give Nick all the best jobs! How altruistic!
By QDM
useful tips englishal....Does any one know of The Gordon Hill Institute of Sea Survival in Aberdeen ? Many years ago I attended a course there sponsored by the Royal Navy....was bloody marvelous....they put us in a helicopter shell...submerged it in water..turned it up side down and then we had to swim out through the windows only AFTER it was upside down...the main theme of that or any other course is the training in panick avoidance ! ...simple but life saving tips...like how to recover an inverted dinghy....hold on to it and wriggle...yes wriggle your body and its amazing how the body would propel forward....in water curl up your body into a ball to conserve energy....etc..etc...dont wish to bore you...the main thing is : dont panick ! ....