Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Last time I was there (2000'sh) the place was a bit dead and the cafe defunct.

However read some good reports since then that they have reopened the cafe and that there is generally more going on again.

They talk a bit funny though they may think that about me too!

FD
By Maverick
Not sure about the GA side, but Air Wales set up a scheduled service there quite recently. This has at least revived the catering facilities and filled the car park. I did hear a rumour somewhere, however, that they might be pulling out - not at all sure though.

It's pretty much in the middle of the very pleasant gower peninnsular, but otherwise is very much in the middle of nowhere.
By More moules
Swansea airfield and ATC, in my experience, are very friendly and helpful - they will give you a good briefing when you call for PPR. Never eaten in the cafe, but the Oxwich Bay Hotel does good food and is probably only a short-ish cab ride from the airport. You might have to book a table for Sunday lunch though.
By Steve H
Went to Swansea last year. The Cafe is open and is "OK" - I would not put it more strongly than that.

They are very keen on hi-vis vests and yes, it is in the middle of nowhere. But fairly quiet traffic wise and a couple of NDB/DME approaches to play with.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It was at Swansea that I had my encounter with the 60G85 kt winds - and I've been there a few times recenlt for business visits to DVLA Swansea (the most ugly looking building in Swansea).

Staff are always helpful and friendly. Food is as mentioned reasonably good.

Caution when using runway 10 in windy conditions as it is prone to both turbulence and wind sheer - partly caused by the topography of the land on the approach - and then there is a large hump on the runway where it crosses runway 22.

First you loose airspeed due to Windsheer , ATC cautions you about windsheer, you power on an extra few knots - then the updraft from the hump slings you back into the air - and you are then a bit too high and too fast to get down in the remaining runway.

Admittedly my experiences were a bit extreme - but the conditions will still be there - just a lot less powerful.

Tom :D :D