Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Guest
No major problems but as usual lots of spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

Is poor gramma another old lady? ;)

Nice to be back.
By Pilot H
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I read an article once in "IFR" about using the ADF, homing to a powerful beacon, as an alternative to flying due south on the compass for a cloud-break descent.

Has anyone ever tried using the quasi-instrument display on a Garmin 196 as sole reference?
By ChrisVJ
Well I am strictly VFR and since my plane is an unsuitable platform and I am old I don't expect to get into the IFR/IMC rating thing but......... as usual I can't help expressing an opinion.

I do have an AH with ball under but I am under the impression the ball shows slip, not bank so if the AH goes out (I have venturi so it is unlikely but it is a cheap AH and the DI is already marginal ) I believe in an IMC situation I could easily spiral while keeping the ball as nearly in the middle as my skill allows. (n'est pas?)

However if I also installled a simple bubble angle of bank indicator (Heel indiacator from yacht or line level from builders merchant) if I fly with compass straight, ball in middle and bubble in middle too I should be straight and level. Then all I have to do is practice turns using the same parameters.

I have been thinking of installing a mini spirit level anyway since I dug a float in quite seriously taking off, I have cured that procedurally, (frequent checks with head turning during power up,) but a spirit level would do as well.

Yes, I know a spirit level will stay central during a balanced turn but I did note that you require all three parameters to stay safe.

Why?

Electric turn and bank $500 + tax + shipping + brokerage etc. + installation.

Spirit level $ 20. + 2 small screws.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Balls and bubbles do the same thing!
I took off in the Sopwith Pup, its bubble went left, this confused me for a second, then I correctly applied right rudder... Like the tuft of wool on a glider's canopy, the rudder input is opposite to the indication.

The thing about the ball is, if it's in the middle, and there's no turn, then your wings are level, unless the ball's stuck!

If your don't go into a seriously steep bank, you can use the ball and compass to at least have the semblance of wings level.... Get into more than a gentle bank and all is lost.
By ChrisVJ
Michael,

I thought the ball was slip.

Fly staright and level and apply right rudder, the ball will deviate until she settles down but a spirit level will stay in the centre?

Gues it is raining down there, It has been snowing here since early am. Sent the kids up the mountain so I have time to play.