Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tlowther
I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad recommendations for IMC training around Essex ?

I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time over there for work between July & October and was thinking about doing the IMC whilst there.

I've seen the standard list of ad's in the back of the mags, but would prefer to pick somewhere by recommendation as opposed to just "its the cheapest" - although cheap is good !

Tim
By Keef
Gissa clue. Whereabouts in Essex?

I fly out of Sahfen' (Sharon & Tracey International) and know several flying clubs there. I'd say which is best depends on your personality and your attitude to instructors and aircraft :D

If you're in the West, then it's probably Stapleford, about which I know very little. If it's Sahfen', then there are two instructors who do my IMC renewals and stuff, and who I regard with deep respect.
By Steve Morley
Wherever you fly from Sahfen' is where you'll be doing your approaches.

As you neeed to do 5 hours of it you will be doing lots of flying too. So really the location is irrelevant. Closeness to home -v- good rate is yer man.

Have a look at the Club guides given away by the mags - there is a GA directory on this site.
By Adam
Keef wrote: If it's Sahfen', then there are two instructors who do my IMC renewals and stuff, and who I regard with deep respect.

With that recommendation it
By Keef
Nah, those are the guys I know and trust at Sahfen'. I don't know the guys at the other places, that's all.

But it's very likely, as Steve says, that you'll be doing ILS and NDB and Radar and stuff at EGMC. Hint - log onto the AIS website and download the latest plates! If you're already registered, you just go here:
http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/egmc.htm

For fascinating, gripping reading on insomniac evenings, there's nothing quite like a nice ILS plate...
By TrevP
So who do you recomend at Sarfend then Keef

PM me if you don't want to name the on here
By tlowther
Southend looks like the best place,so I guess the decision is between Willowair & Southend Flying Club.....any experiences ?

Tim
By Keef
Yep, those two each have an instructor for whom I have the highest regard. Individuals they are, so whether the next student would get on with them or not, I couldn't say.

PM me if you want more information.
By jane
But if you were up the north of Essex then Andrewsfield is quite good, although they will still use the EGMC approaches. I started my IMC and then took to heart what one of my many PPL instructors said - don't start IMC until you really know the plane, and I think he was also insinuating that I would do better if I could fly in a straight line!!