Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jane
Josher
Thank you for explaining why my landings have always been poor! It is nothing to do with my never feeling the flare.
By Rupert S
Never heard of varyfocal contact lenses. Can they really work seeing as you usually don't put your contact lenses in rotated to the correct point?
By norman
Bifocal contact lenses do exist, but I have no idea how they work. They don't have a top and bottom, so it must be something to do with concentric rings. I presume they are not very good, because they do not seem to have taken the market by storm.

Presumably if bifocals can be made, so could trifocal, quadrifocal...and thus varifocal, in theory at least. It could be that they are too expensive to make, or too difficult to use.
By Rob P
"They don't have a top and bottom, so it must be something to do with concentric rings."

Where did you get this information from.

I wear contact lenses and have a slight astigmatism, so I have what is called a toric lenses.

This self align in the eye, the correct way up.

I would have thought that a bifocal lens would work on the same principle?

Rob P
By norman
No special knowledge, just what I was told by someone whose credentials I did not check.

But the key to bifocals is that by moving the eyeball relative to the lens, you look through a bit with different magnification. It is hard to see how that would work for contact lenses.

I will be seeing my optician within the next couple of weeks, so will ask.
By Barbara
I bought varifocals originally, but on the recommendation of the CFI in my student years, I changed them to bifocals, the top being sunglasses and the bottom half being reading glasses. They have worked extremely well, ever since. I would highly recommend this combination.